Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopping for prep knives, need advice please

One way to test drive some knives is by taking a cooking class. I did this at Sur la Table when I was in the market for cookware. The class is set up in a lab setting and you use the products they sell.

You see how the knives feel in your hand when cutting different things on different surfaces.

You see how easy they are to clean (the staff does the cleanup).

You see how functional they are for your purposes. For instance, I like to crush whole garlic cloves with my knife. My Cutco knife wasn't good for that and neither are my smaller, thinner knives. My chef's knife is perfect.

No one else crushes garlic with a knife but me, so that's important to me.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Honny, I have a couple of the ceramic Kuhn Rikon knives, and they do feel good in my hands, but over time they have dulled. Your idea of a cooking class is a great idea, but you are also living in a state that gave birth to American Gastronomy.... I am sure there are places in Florida that do that, but not around here! BTW, I am a big fan of Giada and the only way she crushes garlic is with a knife. I have done that, but I have this fear (not irrational-I am the self proclaimed queen of Klutz) of cutting myself on the knife-even though it's wide and flat!! Mitt safer for me to use my meat pounder. I did buy a garlic press after hearing my son extolling its virtues: I will give it a try this week. Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

I too have Cutco though I use others. I also use Kuhn Rikon a lot.

Honored Contributor

I use a variety of manufacturers. Wüstof, Kuhn Rikon, Dexter Russell and Victorinox.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have a big collection of knives, and probably some of the sharpest and easiest to KEEP sharp are the Henckels I've had for a long time. My most used are the 8" Chef's knife, the 6" utility knife (good for slicing, and lots of other things), and my two Wusthof Santokus that I use a lot for slicing and chopping veggies. I have a short one I use on small veggies and small cutting boards and a bigger one--I use them both! The Nakiri knives are nice too--they have a flatter blade (that's a shape not a brand) and a sharper cutting angle usually.

Most of the Santokus have a hollow ground edge, but I don't think that makes a big difference either way.

The Wusthof Gourmet series is a lesser knife than their other ones. Don't buy the bottom of a company's line of knives unless they have EXCELLENT ratings.

I have boning knives and rarely use them. I also rarely use a paring knife--and a cheap one you get at TJ Maxx probably will work as well. Check around for prices because lOTS of them are on sale now on the web! Enjoy, and BE CAREFUL when you start using really good knives.

Honored Contributor

I have a big collection of knives, and probably some of the sharpest and easiest to KEEP sharp are the Henckels I've had for a long time. My most used are the 8" Chef's knife, the 6" utility knife (good for slicing, and lots of other things), and my two Wusthof Santokus that I use a lot for slicing and chopping veggies. I have a short one I use on small veggies and small cutting boards and a bigger one--I use them both! The Nakiri knives are nice too--they have a flatter blade (that's a shape not a brand) and a sharper cutting angle usually.

Most of the Santokus have a hollow ground edge, but I don't think that makes a big difference either way.

The Wusthof Gourmet series is a lesser knife than their other ones. Don't buy the bottom of a company's line of knives unless they have EXCELLENT ratings.

I have boning knives and rarely use them. I also rarely use a paring knife--and a cheap one you get at TJ Maxx probably will work as well. Check around for prices because lOTS of them are on sale now on the web! Enjoy, and BE CAREFUL when you start using really good knives.

Also the Wusthof Classic Poultry Shears are LETHAL! You could cut up an elephant with them. I have a set for a very long time, yeah there is a little rust on the spring but I couldn't do without those! I can cut the backbone out of a chicken just zip zip!!! Mine have soft handles. . . but I use these all the time.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof/poultry-shears-p15300?gclid=CJb8wqn99cECFQYFaQod1GgAbQ

Respected Contributor

Sooner, thanks for the link to the poultry shears. (I also have a Wusthof Nakiri that I love!)

Anyway, I'm late to this rodeo, so if one is still looking for knives, I got good deals on Amazon a few years back on my Wusthof's on Black Friday. Might want to keep an eye out.

Was going to recommend my husband's favorite knife from QVC (K40012 Technique Groovetech Japanese 8" Mezza knife) but it's not available at this time. Bummer. He loves it for nonstick slicing of potatoes, veggies, hard & soft cheeses, etc.

Denise