Frequent Contributor

Shipping food in open bags...no!

I just received a new product order from QVC, Brian's Beignets. When I opened the box, I was astounded to see that the beignets were in an UNSEALED plastic bag. Thank goodness I noticed the bag was open before everything spilled onto the floor.

I thought the open bag was a mistake until I read product reviews from other buyers, who also received open bags.

Why on earth would you not package a perishable product in a sealed and/or resealable bag?!! This is unsafe and unsanitary in so many ways. Other similar (pastry) products I've purchased from the Q have always been well-packaged.

I tried the beignets, but although I think they're good, I will not buy them again unless QVC or the maker ships them in a sealed container. If you're at all squeamish about food safety, think twice before buying these.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping food in open bags...no!

Probably a good idea to read reviews first Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

But in this case, the product had never been on air before, so there were no reviews to check. The reviews didn't go up until other buyers like me received their open bags of beignets.

And since I've never had a problem with QVC food packaging before, I never expected anything like this.

Honored Contributor

I ordered those on May 20th after seeing them on last Sunday’s ITKWD Show.  I cancelled my order that day after changing my mind.  Glad I did now.

Honored Contributor

If they came unsealed, no way, no how would I have tried them! 

Honored Contributor

Personally, I would call QVC that I wasn't paying for them and I SURE wouldn't eat them, but that's just me.

You don't have to return food items to Q, to get credit/refund.

There's nothing sanitary about cardboard boxes and roaches love the glue that holds them together, while they're stored in a warehouse.

I live in the deep South and I know everything there is to know about roaches (we have the huge, prehistoric, flying ones!) and how to deter them and one big no-no is storing things in your attic in boxes.

Not to mention that the boxes, once taped with the product inside to be shipped to you, still have lots of spaces where anything can seep into the box and the unsealed product inside, during transit & delivery.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I also ordered and received these and thought it was very strange they were not sealed.  But, if they would have sealed them and moisture from the heat in the box got in they would be moldy when you received them.  Usually the things I order that are sealed are completely frozen items. 

Honored Contributor

Gross!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I would have never eaten one .... who knows what has gotten in contact with the item .... you should have called QVC immediately for a refund ..... if you were buying an item in the supermarket & realized the bag was open would you still buy it? 🙃😏

Respected Contributor

I have received these also and they were in a huge plastic bag that was not sealed.  But I decided to live dangerously and try them anyway.  Didn't like the first ones I made, but this morning I let one defrost first, put it in 400F convection oven for 4 minutes.  When done, I spread some butter on top and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  Very good.