Honored Contributor

Re: Shark Tank - Bantam Bagels - QVC's Margin

Seriously - I'm headed to BBB in a few minutes. Should I ask to see the manager and find out the margin on what I'm going to buy? Who knows that kind of stuff about 99.99999% of everything we buy?

Super Contributor

Mail order bagels! Perish the thought! I have a bagel shop just down the street, and two more a couple of blocks away!

Esteemed Contributor

I saw them on Shark tank which has become one of my favorite shows and before Lori partnered with them the other lady I forgot her name made them an offer as well but she wanted them to cut ties with QVC.

They have a shop in the city so if I wanted to try them I would go there, but whichever direction I walk there are fresh bagels and I love Costcos bagels too.

Honored Contributor

Can't get a decent bagel around here. All the bakery products are soft and chewy. When I go home to CT, sometime I bring bread products home. Saw the shark tank show. Knew there would be a markup, but that's crazy.
Valued Contributor

I caught part of this presentation last night. I was SHOCKED to hear that the Bantam Bagel people say that they sell their bagel holes for $1/each! :-0 Srsly., not much shocks me price-wise, really. But this was a staggering price, IMO. I also heard the part about the Q's margins and was surprised, but not shocked. I think there are certain items that are sold on the Q that require the seller (and presenter) to almost over sell in order to make their margins. Any of that kinda behind-the-scenes info on TV shopping is so intriguing to me.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Lori has stated before that the Q vendors have to absorb the cost of all returns. So if some customer decides she doesn't like her bagels and wants a refund, it comes out of the vendor's share. It's a win/win for QVC. No wonder they so generously give product away. By the way, I may be the only person on earth that hates bagels. Hard, tough junk.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

When Barbara Corcoran made the statement that she would want them to sever ties with QVC-did you catch Lori's reaction?? The couple agreed that they would should they take the deal with Barbara and Lori said-"OOOOOOOOO, their not gonna like that". It sounded ominous to me. So, as I also did not see what happened after that, I am actually surprised that Lori got involved. I will have to go ask my son to rerun that part of the show. I do remember seeing that young lady on the presentation on the Q.

As for vendors absorbing returns--big companies, like department stores, always expected the manufacturer to take back unsold stock and problems-even if not warranted. I remember that is why my father preferred not to do direct business with them.. They also did not pay. The poor manufacturer had to send the goods and act as the store's bank for months. He said he had to pay for the raw materials, labor, and operating costs to make the items and could not keep a business operating under that system. That, or his family didn't need to eat and pay bills.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like QVC is a tough negotiator. Sort of like Walmart. Not sure I would go that route if I had a product and wanted to make a good profit. Selling on there would mainly work for items that looked deluxe but only cost pennies to produce.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

It's funny but I was going to start this same thread after watching shark tank. It's ridiculous how much profit QVC makes. You know Lori has to get her share also but still it cost BB $17.95 and QVC pays them $19.95 and then turns around and sells them for almost $50? Talk about greed! A friend of mine was on QVC many years ago and at that time they took 60%. He said they were not easy to work with and were very demanding. He didn't stay with them very long. I think that's why a lot of vendors don't stay and are seen on other shopping channels. Those Bantam Bagels sell for $1.50 each in the store and they are very good. They have very bad reviews here so maybe they use a different manufacturer for QVC. I would never buy food from QVC, I know people who have and said they were terrible.
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid Daddy would get me fresh bagels from Tuckers every Tuesday and Friday. They were the best and haven't had any that measures up. Today most bagels taste like hamburger buns w/ a hole in the middle.