Respected Contributor

Re: Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

Reservations

Honored Contributor

When I am hosting I am of the mindset that if I forget something or it doesn't get done, my guests will have no idea.  They don't know my plans.

i just make sure that I have enough of and a variety of food and drinks for everyone.  I always do and usually have way too much.  I always offer for my guests to take some food home with them if they wish and supply containers.

My events are usually casual and not stressful for me at all.

i don't make lists, my memory is better.  I tend to misplace the list and then I am sunk because I can't remember what was on my list...crazy, I know.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat =

Your lists are like my daughtersSmiley Happy

I'm sure your hosting will be wonderful and I'm inviting myself!Woman LOL

I just wanted to say I noticed you had basil on one of the lists and was just reading the thread about a recall of fresh basil. Here are more details-

(WLUK) -- The Food and Drug Administration has recalled basil exported by Siga logistics de RL de CV from Morelos, Mexico.

FDA officials say 132 got sick and four were hospitalized after being exposed to Cyclospora.

Wisconsin is one of the impacted states by the recall.

Other states include: CT,FL,GA,IA,MA,MN,NY,OH,RI and SC.

Restaurants in four states that were impacted: FL,MN, NY, OH

Consumers are asked to avoid basil from Mexico or are unsure where their basil is from.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Do as much as possible the day before or earlier that same day.  I am also surprised when I see people on TV just peeling the potatoes or frosting the cake when the guests arrive.  Does that really happen in real life?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee 

Not in my life, that's for sure.  I've told the story here before, that years ago we arrived for a birthday party at my SIL's home and the birthday cake was still in the oven.  

Another thing that doesn't happen in my life - guests in my kitchen helping me chop, prep and cook.  I know some people enjoy that, but I'm not one of them.  It's not unusual to arrive at my brother's house for dinner, only to find he's still at the market buying ingredients.  For me, THAT's the definition of stressful.  

@on the bay 

Thank you for the heads up 👍

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I used to entertain and host every special occassion for our families.  Now, hardly have company - sad but true.  My family is back home and no one here entertains -- they make reservations!

But, when I did, I always had a shopping list, prep list (many done day before, table settings done and day of always had my "list of cooking and times".

I enjoy entertaining so its not a big deal for me.  It doesn't overwhelm me whether its a few or 30+.  I find it relaxing and more fun than "reservations!"

Honored Contributor

I host family and they are not fussy people so it's pretty stress free. Finding out who is attending and what dish they will bring is difficult. That's how casual they are.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Peaches McPhee 

Not in my life, that's for sure.  I've told the story here before, that years ago we arrived for a birthday party at my SIL's home and the birthday cake was still in the oven.  

Another thing that doesn't happen in my life - guests in my kitchen helping me chop, prep and cook.  I know some people enjoy that, but I'm not one of them.  It's not unusual to arrive at my brother's house for dinner, only to find he's still at the market buying ingredients.  For me, THAT's the definition of stressful.  

@on the bay 

Thank you for the heads up 👍

@house_cat Oh!  My goodness!  I can't conceive of the rudeness you described!  So sorry!

Honored Contributor

I write a menu on one side of the paper.  On the other side I write the ingredients placed in order of the grocery store.

I buy everything I can about a week ahead of time, fresh vegetables and other items the day before.

I make my dessert the day before and do any meal preprep I can while it's in the oven.

The table is set.  

I write out a time line of preperation.  (That way nothing misses getting cooked).

The day of, I have everything but pasta and bread ready about 2 hours before.

Company comes and I am with them, not the dishes!Smiley Happy

@house_cat Works on a legal pad, and her plans look wonderful.

I prefer a clip board and typing paper for everything.  I taught time management in my regular and advanced foods classes.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I used to entertain and host every special occassion for our families.  Now, hardly have company - sad but true.  My family is back home and no one here entertains -- they make reservations!

But, when I did, I always had a shopping list, prep list (many done day before, table settings done and day of always had my "list of cooking and times".

I enjoy entertaining so its not a big deal for me.  It doesn't overwhelm me whether its a few or 30+.  I find it relaxing and more fun than "reservations!"

We had a huge family back east, and my house was the hub of it. I entertained a gazillion holidays, birthdays, barbeques, you name it. I have wonderful friends here on the west coast now, but perhaps because we're at a different stage in our lives, no one entertains.  Ever.  I missed it terribly.  Restaurants are a nice treat, but there's nothing like having your home filled with your favorite people. So, I decided it would have to be me.  I entertain often, everyone appreciates it and I think I reap the most benefits.

~ house cat ~