Honored Contributor

Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

[ Edited ]

My biggest tip is making lists.

I make lists for everything, but when I'm hosting I tend to go into overdrive.  This is my current list, as my luncheon approaches.  I guess many people would think it's a little nuts, but it keeps me from stressing and forgetting things.

IMG_2133.JPG

If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to know your tricks and tips for stress-free hosting.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

Private room in restaurant

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Plan ahead.  Make a menu that you can prepare some things ahead of time.  Don't get too complicated.  Relax & enjoy.  I like your lists.  

Honored Contributor

I like to share the stress and have my guests bring a dish..we always do potlucks....usually with a theme.I always make sure garbage has been emptied,windows have been opened,floors vacuumed and bathroom has been sanitized.I set the table the day before so I can be sure that I like the way it looks.

Respected Contributor

I make lists and still stress out. Cook too much food and in the end everything works out. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but I can't ❤️ your posts - for some reason the website keeps telling me that I "cannot be authenticated".  I assure you, I'm authentic.

There's no one quite like me, lol.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat - I'm totally with you on the lists—knowing ahead of time what you'll need when helps to prevent insanity and stress like nothing else. I'm a list maker by nature, but with event planning, lists are absolutely essential.

My runner-up hosting tip is to not feel obligated to make every single component from scratch; incorporating at least one or two things that are premade or from a mix simply makes your life easier and allows you to focus on the key/star features. And as a followup to that tip, don't apologize for anything you've made or done unless it is truly an inconvenience or problem for your guests (and few things qualify for such categorization). Take pride in your party and enjoy it! Not only will this make you feel better, but it will also provide your guests with an environment of ease, comfort, and fun.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't ❤️ your posts - for some reason the website keeps telling me that I "cannot be authenticated".  I assure you, I'm authentic.

There's no one quite like me, lol.

@house_cat - Just a couple of minutes ago when I was composing my reply above, the site kept popping up an "in progress" screen I've never seen before, and when I clicked the "POST" button, I got a notification to the effect that "the Community has moved" and I should "join the new Community." I had to sign in twice before my post went through, and even then it was only because the system saved my draft. I've also been seeing pink/red "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested" banners appear even when I'm simply typing. I think someone must be tweaking the forums; hopefully things won't get worse!

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote, "Share your tips for stress-free hosting."

Is there really such a thing???  

You seem to have everything in order. 

Relax and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   looks as if you are a professional planner.  The only tip I might add is to incorporate on your plan sheet ...a few minutes of quiet time for yourself perhaps indulge in a soothing bath and select your clothes ahead of time.  You want to feel refreshed not hurried or overworked and have a good time as I'm sure your guests will.