Trusted Contributor

Re: Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

[ Edited ]

A few years ago, we celebrated my husband's 60th birthday with a birthday bash in the back yard. We did pulled pork, bbq chicken, burgers, brats on the grill. I made all the side dishes myself. The only thing that I ordered was the huge cake; I knew I didn't have time to make and decorate the cake and I wasn't going to stress over it. My sister helped me decorate the pink flamingo and palm tree cookies that I had baked and frozen about a week earlier.

I made a lot of lists. We put the tent up outside (we have a huge white tent that we use for large parties and family get-togethers). My sister brought her picnic table over in the truck. We had four tables, plus we told everybody to bring lawn chairs and such. I used Oriental Trading Company for tiki-type decorations. 

I made everything ahead of time that I possibly could. I used a make-ahead recipe for the bbq chicken. We did the pork on the grill that day. We had extension cords going from the house to the tent and from our shed to the tent. 

We set the buffet up inside the tent. People came in, helped themselves, and then went back out in the yard to eat. They sat at the tables or went in to sit by the pool in their chairs. 

Oh my gosh, we had fun! There were over 60 people there and we had plenty to eat, plenty to drink. Lots of great conversation and just a really good time.

We had six cats at the time; we locked the cats in our bedroom, so we didn't have to worry about a guest inadvertently letting a cat outside. I had plenty of paper towels, liquid soap, etc in the bathroom for guests (we only have one bathroom).

I really love doing things like this and I'll use any excuse for a party. But I always need to have my lists, I need to know what I'm doing. I plan what to do, starting about two weeks before the party. What I'm making and when I'm making it. The grocery list can be long, so I start buying items about a month ahead of time: non-perishables first including plates, cups, etc, followed by the perishables, dairy, cheese, etc the week prior. I make things ahead of time and put them in the freezer, get them out the night before and stick it all in the fridge. Any decorated cookies are done the week of the party (about two days ahead of time)

And thankfully it did not rain! Not one drop!

We also had a huge get-together for some friends from an online forum that lasted the weekend. We had had the forum for years, got to be exellent friends and wanted to hang out together, just once. Now, we couldn't fit 40+ people in the house for the weekend, so they had to find motels and such. But I did the cooking and grilling. My GF ordered a gorgeous cake. We spent Saturday outside in the tent and had a great day talking with everybody. The next morning, people came back for breakfast before they left for home. A woman came from California to be with us. Another woman came in from Iowa. They found rooms in the area. We supplied the food. And we had a great time.

It's really all about organization. Figuring out what you want to do and how you're going to do it. And if you like doing it, it's going to be fun. If you don't enjoy the planning or the cooking, then have it catered. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

I make sure I only have one "complicated dish" so that gets all the attention.  It could be a side, appetizer or main dish but the rest are simple.