Honored Contributor

Re: Share your tips for stress-free hosting.

What's that they say about the best laid plans of mice and men?

All the lists I've compiled failed to take into account one major factor..... my son called last night to say that he and his S/O, their two large dogs and a lame kitten, will be passing this way and staying for two nights.  We have no extra space, which means they'll be sleeping in the livingroom and leaving the morning of my tea luncheon.

So... my detailed plans have just gotten a lot more complicated.

My son is a musician and travels constantly.  A visit from him is more precious than any gift, but I have to admit that the timing sucks..... pardon my French.

In any case, I'll make it work, but I thought it was worth sharing this ironic twist.

*The kitten is literally lame.  They rescued her a few months ago. She has no use of her back legs... has to scoot around the floor.  I'm going to do myself a favor and board my older cat, because last time my son's little circus came to town, it so freaked her out that we almost lost her.  And having said all of this, I'm still crazy excited about seeing them. #weneedabiggerboat

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@ House-cat
Wow! That would put me in a tizzy! Keep us apprised. Enjoy family time!
Honored Contributor

I don't entertain any more, but I'm another one that doesn't want anyone "helping" me in the kitchen.  Don't want anyone loading the dishwasher, etc. either.

Honored Contributor

I let someone else do it! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

From my mom: do everything you can ahead. Make dishes that can be reheated or stay heated. Don't do anything "real time" that you can avoid doing. That way, when people arrive, you can enjoy your guests and not be struggling in the kitchen. 

Last time I had a party, I made Japanese curry. It was in the casserole, the rice was in the rice cooker. The dessert was ice cream and pizzelle (done in advance.) People came over, I dished it up and we sat down and ate and enjoyed a party. Clean up was the pot for the curry and the rice cooker. Nothing else. Dishes into dishwasher. Easy-peasy.

Respected Contributor

Another tip. If you have a spare room, set it up for guests even if you use it for other things. Try to keep it neat. So if it's a sewing room, if you can swing a craft cabinet or a closet, put away your stuff and keep this room dusted, vacuumed and the bed made up with fresh sheets. I also have a small desk so the guest can log into the wifi with their laptop if they use one. My printer is on wifi so anyone can print out a boarding pass... My sister-in-law made me a needlepoint luggage rack once and I treasure it. How handy is that!  

I do have the room to dedicate to a guest room, but even so, once I had seven people staying over after a funeral and the house had people in every room to save on the awful high hotel costs here. But I was ready. Air beds to the rescue in the office and living room and we managed.

Even if it's an air bed in the closet, have it ready and a space where it can go. When the need to host someone arrives, pull out  the bed, the set of spare towels (I have sets in the guest bath and that's where the sheet sets are, you only need one or two sets of sheets and two sets of towels.)  

I'm going to have guests later in the year and friends from overseas are planning a trip when their kids are a bit older. I'll be ready and they have stayed in the room before. Amazon sells some very affordable beds in queen and those rolled foam mattresses that don't need a box spring are very comfortable. 

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat I also make lists when I entertain. I organize my list by stores I have to shop at and will jot down recipes so that I don't have to refer to websites on my phone. I can't host without a list, or I would definitely forget things!

I also recommend the cookbook Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. It's from the old Martha Stewart magazine that was a small format. This cookbook has lots of easy recipes that made one of my dinner parties easy. I had a divorce party to thank people who had supported me through a very rough time and chose recipes from this book. The asparagus and cheese tart is easy was super popular, the panzanella was easy and fresh, and we made grilled lamb chops. Cheese, salami and wine for appetizer, and everyone was happy! This meal really looked more difficult than it was.

I am also planning on doing another make-your-own sushi party. I buy and slice the sashimi, have other things prepped (e.g., avocado, ginger, sliced ******ake, cucumber, spicy tuna, etc.), make some sunomono (cucumber salad) and miso soup, and prepare the rice. It's fun and interactive, and people learn how to do something new.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

I think I started making lists upon starting junior high and haven't stopped.

The best way for me to have a low stress event in my home is to have a buffet.  This allows for nearly everything to be prepared in the days ahead. 

The one exception is Christmas morning, where I make Swedish Pancakes and lots of last minute yummy stuff.

LOVE buffets!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

I agree.  My table seats eight people. If I have any more than that, I serve buffet style.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I've been doing it for so long now, there's no stress to hosting anything anymore.  My best tip is "don't expect perfection".  Something always goes wrong and somehow, the party or the dinner is always a great success.  I don't make a lot of  lists but I do decide on my menu fairly early and I start my shopping and pulling the recipes out early.  That way, I never start cooking and suddenly realize "Omg, I don't have any vanilla".  I love doing gorgeous tables and sideboard settings so I plan that early too.  Like in a couple of weeks, I will decide how I am going to decorate my Thanksgiving table and sideboard.   Lists and time tables and schedues would only make me nervous.  However, we're all different and every hosts or host has her or his own method for pulling a dinner or party together.