Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Share Some Odd or Obscure Cookbooks You Have

"A Hundred Years of Island Cooking," published by the Hawaiian Electric Company. No luck finding a date, maybe from the 1960's.

Honored Contributor

Someone gifted me a "Cooking with Coolio" cookbook but I'm pretty sure it was a joke! 

Trusted Contributor

@Toots711 wrote:

I have been searching for one of Dinah Shore's  cookbooks.  I recall that my late Mother and I had one many years ago. Does anyone here have one in their collection?

Check amazon under 

Someone's In The Kitchen With Dinah: Dinah Shore's Personal Cookbook  

1971 edition.  There are several used ones to chose from 3 dollars plus shipping.

Respected Contributor

I have my mom's "Watkins Cook Book" (price $1.50) from 1938.  Never made anything from it, though.

Esteemed Contributor

Italian Regional cooking by Ada Boni - Library of congress catalog card # 74-89975

it has 600 receipes and was printed in 1969.

Immigrant Italian cooking  by Flodia Rigante copyright 2003 .

Respected Contributor

In 1957 for my tenth birthday, my godmother gave me

Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls. I still have it and use some of the recipes. The best one is for apple crisp.

Another vintage cookbook from the 60's that I have and use is

Betty Crocker's Cooky Book.

From the 1984, I have From Our Kitchen To Yours from

the Elbow Beach Hotel in Bermuda. It features their recipes

from their International chefs.

Honored Contributor

I love to browse through cook books, but very seldom make any recipes I find in them.

My favorite cook books are the ones that are sold as fundraisers for churches and synagogues.

The members of the congragations are invited to submit their favorite tried and true recipes.  They are featured in the cook books with the name of the person who submitted it.

It seems every recipe is easy and simple and tastes great.  Some are from people who passed the recipes down through the family over many years. 

it's been a while since I have seen a new one.  Maybe they are no longer doing this? I have quite a collection.

Trusted Contributor

I have a set of cookbooks that focus on recipes from around the world. Beautiful hardcover full-color, then an accompanying wirebound softcover of the recipes from each book. That set was accumulated (maybe a Time-Life series) back in the 1970s for my "hope chest." My mother sold the set at a garage sale when I was in high school - she had the sale during the day while I was at school and just arbitrarily disposed of things at her discretion -- and I was so devastated that my father tracked down the buyer and got them back.

I have some cookbooks from local organizations as well as the old Gooseberry Patch editions.Cookbooks/pamphlets that came with kitchen appliances, too.

During my current focus on decluttering I suppose some of the many cookbooks I possess will be donated, but those Time-Life books will stay with me! Will I ever make the food of my Scandinavian ancestors as noted in one book? Probably not LOL

Super Contributor

@Toots711 

There are several Dinah Shore cookbooks on eBay!  

Honored Contributor

I have a Williamsburg cookbook along with 3 small paperback books that also probably came from Williamsburg: 1. The Open Hearth a Colonial Cookbook, 2. Recipes from the Raleigh Tavern Bake Shop, & 3. Revolutionary Recipes.

Also a spiral bound KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) cookbook for sailboat cooking along with another sailboat cookbook.

I used to have a German cookbook in German that my husband, brought back for me from a Germany business trip.  But, alas, it didn't have my beloved Jaegerschnitzel recipe in it. 

I have a whole bunch upstairs that I was going to take to my Sunday School Dept. to see if anybody wanted any of them before donating somewhere where they might just throw them out, but then the pandemic hit.  We are back in classes now, but so far we haven't gone back to the full department getting together before class.  I saved whatever recipes I was interested in out of them, so no reason not to part with them.