Honored Contributor

Re: Shame on Buddy.............

@PamfromCT wrote:

I guess there are people living in places where there are not excellent bakery shops.  There is an Italian bakery a town away from us that sells delicious pastries.  Each year we buy a huge platter of assorted Italian cookies for the family.  It is heavenly and worth every dime.

@PamfromCT   Since you once kind of/sort of told me your town, I know which bakery you are talking about, and it is fabulous!!

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I guess there are people living in places where there are not excellent bakery shops.  There is an Italian bakery a town away from us that sells delicious pastries.  Each year we buy a huge platter of assorted Italian cookies for the family.  It is heavenly and worth every dime.

@PamfromCT   Since you once kind of/sort of told me your town, I know which bakery you are talking about, and it is fabulous!!

(Starts with an "M"?)

Honored Contributor

Where I live, a professional two layer 10" cake is $50-$70.

The fillings and frostings melt in your mouth.  The cake is so big, even a small piece comes out large (cake is a favorite food group of mine!).Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Where I live, a professional two layer 10" cake is $50-$70.

The fillings and frostings melt in your mouth.  The cake is so big, even a small piece comes out large (cake is a favorite food group of mine!).Smiley Happy

Living in the Chicago area we have the finest bakeries.  Prices are equitable for high end ingredient's and some serious specialty cakes.  The local food stores compete with them.  Buddy's cake looks like something you get at the superwalmart.  It is a basic cheap cake would never pay that much for a frozen cake that has food coloring ,butter cream, sprinkles, and 4 rosettes,  Personally I can spend as much as I want but would not be made a fool of by a "celebrity's cake"....maybe some areas are food deserts.

Respected Contributor

That's a pretty cake and looks yummy but it's too expensive for me. It's a vanilla cake so much of the expense probably comes from the real vanilla beans he likely used. Vanilla beans are pricey.

Honored Contributor

I'm in a very rural area of West Virginia, and bakery to us is what's available at Kroger or Wal-Mart. Our economy would not support a Buddy Valastro style bakery.
Honored Contributor

Yesterday at the grocery store I saw a Buddy Valastro/Cake Boss cake mix kit.  The kit contained the mix for the cake and frosting.  Price $7.99.  First time I have ever seen it.  It came in two flavors, vanilla and something else that wasn't chocolate.

Thinking of trying it just to see if it's actually better than any other cake mix, but I always jazz up cake mixes so my contest wouldn't be fair.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

(Starts with an "M"?)

@faeriemoon, That isn’t the particular bakery.  But I guess it could be.  There are several around that are very special.  If We didn’t watch our diet so closely, we could go crazy.  We are spoiled to have so many choices in our area.  

Trusted Contributor

I feel like the price of that cake was a lot of money, but it is the same as a lot of the other cakes sold on QVC.  I actually watched the presentation.  The price wasn't a deal-breaker for me though. I personally didn't think the cake was anything too special.  It was a lot of sprinkles and buttercream and a little too "much" for my personal taste.  However, that doesn't mean that someone else won't enjoy it.

They opened a Carlo's Bakery in my parents' town and it only lasted about 2 years.  They closed last summer.  My parents went in once just to try it out and they weren't impressed at all.  They have an amazing Italian bakery where they live and it's well known in parts of Long Island.  No need for all of the frills when they have quality right in their hometown.

Respected Contributor

Heck, a nicer 12" cake here in CT is $55, priced at several bakeries , so $85 is not a whole lot more... Bakeries are few here, so the prices are crazy for professional looking cakes. 
Now, if you want a yummy tasting cake that looks amateurish, I can make it for $5! Lol!