Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously, is this a normal portion for an adult man?

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  I agree with you about the doctors - my friend who is being treated for anorexia recently lost 5 # - I went with her to the PCP and he didn't say anything about it - so I asked him how he felt about it ( that is 5% of her body weight as she only weighed 98# to start with), and he said it was fine - great even. So she is 5'4" tall & now weighs 93 #  & her MD thinks itr's fine. She told her therapist what he said and the therapist said she needs to speak to him.Of course this really feeds into her disease so she's on top of the world.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I don't think 57 is too young for RA.  Many people are diagnosed with it in their 20's.  It's different than OA which is age-related, but I do think that keeping a relatively low weight is easier on a person with any type of arthritis.  The woman who sits next to me at work has had RA nearly all her life (she's late 50's now), but she is very much overweight, and I watch her struggle just walking to the restroom.

@2blonde wrote:

I don't think 57 is too young for RA.  Many people are diagnosed with it in their 20's.  It's different than OA which is age-related, but I do think that keeping a relatively low weight is easier on a person with any type of arthritis.  The woman who sits next to me at work has had RA nearly all her life (she's late 50's now), but she is very much overweight, and I watch her struggle just walking to the restroom.

I had RA at 25 even though it wasn't  diagnosed for a few more years.  Re: your husband--I think he should have something for breakfast and at least a light lunch too.  I don't think not eating until dinnertime is a good idea.  JMO

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I agree with you about the doctors - my friend who is being treated for anorexia recently lost 5 # - I went with her to the PCP and he didn't say anything about it - so I asked him how he felt about it ( that is 5% of her body weight as she only weighed 98# to start with), and he said it was fine - great even. So she is 5'4" tall & now weighs 93 #  & her MD thinks itr's fine. She told her therapist what he said and the therapist said she needs to speak to him.Of course this really feeds into her disease so she's on top of the world.

@151949  Being naturally slender and anoxia are two different things.....but I imagine the doctor does not want to be too harsh or she may not go to the doctor ever again....perhaps he is being careful in addressing the weight loss but at the same time keeping an eye on the situation. Let's hope so!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

my spouse is 6'2, 68 yr old & weighs 178 - the same weight up/down a few lbs over the last 40 years!he is "stick" thin and dr says he's in good health (except he's had some skin cancer issues recently.)

prior to meeting him he was 276 lbs and got his weight down by carb counting. Believe me he eats anything & more -- never gains!

This is his normal diet everyday 

breakfast: 2 rye toast w/pb

lunch: 1 ham sandwich (wheat bread), lettuce, tomato light mayo

dinner: depends on day - he only eats a lite salad, chicken salad or soup 4 out of 7 days because he golfs 18 holes & too hot he says for heavy dinner. 

Weekends: we usually eat out.

Snack: 1 small cookie, jello, or sometimes a ice cream cone (drumstick brand).

Thats it - 365 days/year! He really feels "tired" if he eats more ....

guess I eat his share - LOL! He has great metabolism...and I chuckle he still wears a size 32 waist after all these years!!

Respected Contributor

i wish i could eat that size portion.that does sound like a normal size potion. you never find that size portion on my plate. i wish i could.

Honored Contributor

My DH is slim but eats much larger portions than you described.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

He takes methotrexate once a week, with meals and he gives himself an Embrel injection once a week, as well.

@SharkE

There is something to that - it is not uncommon for me to cook for two hours, only to have him eat in 5 minutes.

I have bought every supplement drink on the market - he doesn't drink them. He simply wants no food until dinner time and we agreed a couple of years ago to stop arguing about it.  He thinks I don't get enough sleep (and he's right) and I think he doesn't get enough food (and I'm right), but that's what it is and it's hard to fight it.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat, the drugs that he's on do indeed do a number on the tum-and you are probably not the only spouse dealing with this?

My husband never wants to tell me when he's not well-can barely walk at times because of gout-but he never complains....is your DH like that?

I'm not so concerned about his current weight: but I think you have very valid concerns regarding his ongoing nutrition because eating so few macronutrients will have an untoward effect on him.

Have you visited the National RA Foundation web-site?  

I have to agree with you 100%. I am sure he's given permission to you to talk to his doctor-I think both of you need to.

Does his doctor have a Nurse Practitioner on board?  I'm finding often NPs really listen and seem to have more time, and they stay on top of information out there-not that doctors don't.

Its always some thin'....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

yeah, I cut back we're both not getting any younger and seems like we lose our appetite as we age. He could live on ice cream and hamburgers, so, I'm not knocking myself out putting on a big feed just to have leftovers for 2 days. LOL

Summer it's tuna and chicken salad sandwiches, chips. I don't eat dessert till Sat, so, he eats ice cream. I buy Jello 100 calorie choc puddings for weekdays, fruit, fruit smoothies made with Dole frozen fruit and juice mix.

Once in awhile I do a roast, mashed potatoes, etc. like on a long weekend.

Just have to do like I did rethink the food situation. Whatever is easiest for you more time for you to do what you want to do besides cook and clean up in the kitchen for folks who don't even say thank ya' and don't offer to help with anything. LOL   I bought out of that.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat,As you know, with a background in nutririon and a double major of chemistry, I would be concerned about his 2 1/2 C of vegies a day and it of course shouldn't be carbs.  Try to get romaine and those higher nutrient vegies into it.