Respected Contributor

Sept.3 Today is NATIONAL WELSH RAREBIT DAY

I've never had or made this, but it sounds good.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Sept.3 Today is NATIONAL WELSH RAREBIT DAY

This is Alton Brown's Welsh Rarebit recipe from Food Network

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup porter beer (use Guinness beer)
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces (approximately 1 1/2 cups) shredded Cheddar
2 drops hot sauce
4 slices toasted rye bread

Directions

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour. Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add beer and whisk to combine. Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth; this will take 4 to 5 minutes. Add hot sauce. Pour over toast and serve immediately.

Frequent Contributor

Welsh Rarebit is delicious. It's even better with 2 pieces of crisp bacon and a slice of ripe tomato on top!
Super Contributor

Welsh rabbit? hmmm never heard of this one

Honored Contributor

It's so good--a popular menu item with restaurants serving ""tavern"" style food. Great appetizer/ sharing item.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

On 9/3/2014 champagnepoodle said:

LOL...Rarebit not rabbit. It's in essence, fondue. Yum!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

On 9/3/2014 Chi-town girl said:
On 9/3/2014 champagnepoodle said:

LOL...Rarebit not rabbit. It's in essence, fondue. Yum!

lol, thanks Chi. I miss read this. Actually never heard of the rabbit or the rarebit! LOL!

Valued Contributor

Many years ago I learned how to make Welsh Rarebit in cooking class. It took so long to make and so many ingredients for something we ate in about two minutes! It's really just a version of cheese on toast. We never put any beer in it. Seems like a waste of beer anyway.

Contributor

From chow.com -

This dish was originally known as Welsh rabbit, for reasons that aren’t exactly clear but that most agree were intended to imply rudeness to the Welsh. During the late 18th century, derogatory terms such as rabbit became frowned upon in polite company and the name evolved into rarebit, meaning a choice morsel. Today, rarebit has come to mean tasty morsels of bread covered in a mustardy cheese sauce.

Honored Contributor

I never had this til i went to nursing school - the hospital cafeteria made it frequently. I am a big fan. Stouffers makes the cheese sauce so you can buy it frozen and you just nuke it and add your bacon and toast and tomatoes. Yum. I always make it toast topped with bacon then pour over the cheese sauce then add a tomato slice on top. It is a pain to make it from scratch but is a quick meal if you use the Stouffers sauce.