Valued Contributor

Seeking advice re Masterbuilt Verandah Electric Grill

I purchased the Masterbuilt electric grill in March and just assembled it today.  It wasn't too difficult to put together but it took longer than 20 minutes -- I don't have the hand strength I used to have.  Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

Hairpins:  I was only able it insert them halfway.  I couldn't push the pin all the way up, no matter what I tried, and it was just killing my fingers trying to force them up.  The lid opens and closes properly, so I'm wondering if the pins are supposed to go only halfway?  The manual doesn't illustrate how the pins should look when they're installed properly.  Has anyone been able to push them all the way up?  Does it matter one way or the other?  

Temperature Gauge:  There's nothing in the instructions to indicate what temperatures should be used for what foods.  It only provides a chart showing the proper internal temperature.  There's nothing on the website either.  Can anyone share their experience with the grill and what temps they used?

Thanks in advance!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Seeking advice re Masterbuilt Verandah Electric Grill

@Brooklynny I put mine together by myself too and I cannot push those pins in all the way on my own (when I had help I could) but to be honest it hasn't impacted the overall functionality of the grill.

As for temperature settings, I usually have mine set between the highest setting and the one below it as the grill loses a lot of heat when you open the lid to do anything.  Now I live in the suburbs of Chicago but I would imagine if you live in a warmer area that may impact the temperature setting as I find my grill's temperature is very much impacted by the outdoor weather/temperature if that makes sense.  On a warm, direct sun type of day I dial the thermostat down.

I love mine and this is the second one I have purchased.  For someone like me, it's a great way to get the taste of grilled without the heavy propane tank or the clean up of charcoal.  Hope you enjoy too!

Super Contributor

I live in SoCal and I, too, find that when I have to open the lid I lose a lot of heat. That said, I do like it and it's perfect for just my husband and me. I bought it last year and used it a lot in hte summer and less in the winter. I put mine together by myself and don't recall having any issues with the assembly. I was really slow - I'm 72 - but I got it done by myself.

Because of the heat loss I tend to turn it all the way up to 500 so that I can get the grill marks and flavor I want. I've grilled steaks, burgers and chicken on it; no fish as my husband won't eat fish. I also wrap fresh green beans in foil and let them steam while the meat is cooking. Tastes great with whatever flavoring you put in with them. I use onions, kosher salt and bacon bits.

Valued Contributor

@ChouChou@momtochloe,  thanks for your feedback.  You're right, I noticed the grill hasn't been impacted by the pins going halfway up, so I won't worry about them.  I didn't want to force them even if I could because I was afraid I'd either break them or somehow damage the grill cover.

Weather's no longer an issue here in NYC until late fall when we'll bring the grill into the basement for the winter.  Otherwise, it's going to sit on the patio with its cover for the grilling season.

I just made two burgers for dinner tonight plus a small one for our voracious 6.5 pound  Yorkie,  and I dialed the temp all the way up.  I put the burgers on when the indicator light went out and the temp reached about 600 degrees.  I did notice that the temp decreases really fast when the lid is lifted, so I tried to move quickly.  I cooked the burgers just a tad too long (very well done), so I'll adjust the cooking time for medium well next time.  The burgers had grill marks, so they did look like they were charcoal grilled.  The flavor was very good -- I can't complain.  I also covered the inner plate and lined the grease cup with foil to make cleanup easier.  

We hope to enjoy it all summer as we grill fish, chicken, burgers, and veggies!  Again, thanks, and I appreciate for your input!

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@ChouChou@momtochloe,  thanks for your feedback.  You're right, I noticed the grill hasn't been impacted by the pins going halfway up, so I won't worry about them.  I didn't want to force them even if I could because I was afraid I'd either break them or somehow damage the grill cover.

Weather's no longer an issue here in NYC until late fall when we'll bring the grill into the basement for the winter.  Otherwise, it's going to sit on the patio with its cover for the grilling season.

I just made two burgers for dinner tonight plus a small one for our voracious 6.5 pound  Yorkie,  and I dialed the temp all the way up.  I put the burgers on when the indicator light went out and the temp reached about 600 degrees.  I did notice that the temp decreases really fast when the lid is lifted, so I tried to move quickly.  I cooked the burgers just a tad too long (very well done), so I'll adjust the cooking time for medium well next time.  The burgers had grill marks, so they did look like they were charcoal grilled.  The flavor was very good -- I can't complain.  I also covered the inner plate and lined the grease cup with foil to make cleanup easier.  

We hope to enjoy it all summer as we grill fish, chicken, burgers, and veggies!  Again, thanks, and I appreciate for your input!

Oh @Brooklynny I used to grill for my Maltese all the time so I wish you and your voracious Yorkie a great meal and a great weekend!

Valued Contributor

@momtochloe, thanks, same to you!  Our Yorkie goes absolutely nuts when we grill.  She actually starts screaming!  We also think she must be half-cat -- she's mad about fish, no matter how it's cooked.  A former veterinarian told us that Yorkies are the felines of the dog world.  I guess she was right, at least with our dog!

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

@momtochloe, thanks, same to you!  Our Yorkie goes absolutely nuts when we grill.  She actually starts screaming!  We also think she must be half-cat -- she's mad about fish, no matter how it's cooked.  A former veterinarian told us that Yorkies are the felines of the dog world.  I guess she was right, at least with our dog!

Oh @Brooklynny I cannot tell you how much you have made my day . . . my Chloe would go bananas when I would take the cover off the grill as she knew something good was coming her way.  Her other favorite was tuna from a can (from Costco).  Oh goodness when that can would make an appearance she was all over me . . . good memories, thank you.  I appreciate it more than you know!  Heart