Frequent Contributor

Secret to Toll-House chocolate chip cookies

I just now recieved by Priority Mail a package that has Christmas presents in it sent to me. I was expecting that box because the sender advised me to open it as soon as I received it.

I called the sender to advise her the box had arrived.

There were several smaller boxes in there.. all wrapped in Christmas wrap. Of course, I won't open those until Christmas.

However.. in that box was an unwrapped, clean, used margarine tub. The edges of the lid all around the tub's opening was taped down TIGHT with U.S. Mail priority tape to keep the cookies fresh.

As we were on the phone, I took the tape off that plastic margarine tub.. which turned out to be BRIMMING with home-made Toll-House cookies! So, THAT was why the sender wanted to be sure that I opened that box as soon I received it!

I took a bite from one of them.. and YUM!!!

Yes, they were still fresh even though they'd been baked 4 or 5 days ago.

The classic Toll-House cookie recipe. That one that's on the back of the bag of Nestle semi-sweet ch...

The sender asked me if I knew WHY those Toll-House cookies were so good!

I could tell that she wanted to offer that info.. so, of course, as I kept making the "yumm" grunts.. I said YES, please!

Here's "the secret" -->

#1 -- do not put ANY salt in the dough. NONE WHATSOEVER!! Even though the package says to use a teaspoon of salt!

#2 -- use a full TABLESPOON of vanilla! Not just the 1 teaspoon that the package says to use.

OKAY -- got that?

** NO salt

** MORE vanilla

Next time you make Toll-House cookies, you might want to try those 2 tweaks to the recipe.

Yumm!!!!!

Original NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Chocolate Chip Cookies