Honored Contributor

Re: Secret to Creamy Mac 'n Cheese???

On 3/31/2015 betteb said:

This is Wolfgang Puck's Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese, but it can be done on the stove top as well. I have done it both ways. When I do it on the stove top, after it's done, I put it in a baking dish and put it in the oven at 400 for a few minutes to get that crusty top.

It is hands down the creamiest, best tasting mac & cheese I ever had.

Macaroni & Cheese

Yield: 2-3 Servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

1 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste

Directions:

Combine noodles, broth and cream in rice cooker. Press COOK and stir occasionally.

When machine switches to KEEP WARM add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly till all cheese is melted. Press COOK again.

It will switch to KEEP WARM after just a few minutes but this is the point where the cheese on the bottom turns that delicious brown.

Serve.

I like this mac n' cheese recipe. I used Sargentos Colby/Jack shredded cheese & extra sharp cheddar instead of the 3 cheeses listed in the recipe. I also added just a bit extra.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the can of cheddar soup is what makes David V's mac and cheese so creamy.
Valued Contributor

My mac & cheese might get "frowned upon" by some but it is stove top (can't stand baked)...very simple...boil your macaroni drain and add back to same pot (on low), add butter & Velveeta & milk , stirring until it is as creamy as your family likes!! Done!!

Always creamy & don't spend a fortune on different cheeses or much time getting it ready!!

Honored Contributor

After all these years of trying to make "good" Macaroni & Cheese, I discovered the recipe my mother basically used growing up on the internet, using Carnation Evaporated milk! I basically made up my own recipe, 2 cups macaroni (cooked), 2T. butter, 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, and 2 T. or more to taste of Carnation Evaporated milk, and cook on stove top!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Nightowlz said:
On 3/31/2015 betteb said:

This is Wolfgang Puck's Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese, but it can be done on the stove top as well. I have done it both ways. When I do it on the stove top, after it's done, I put it in a baking dish and put it in the oven at 400 for a few minutes to get that crusty top.

It is hands down the creamiest, best tasting mac & cheese I ever had.

Macaroni & Cheese

Yield: 2-3 Servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

1 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste

Directions:

Combine noodles, broth and cream in rice cooker. Press COOK and stir occasionally.

When machine switches to KEEP WARM add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly till all cheese is melted. Press COOK again.

It will switch to KEEP WARM after just a few minutes but this is the point where the cheese on the bottom turns that delicious brown.

Serve.

I like this mac n' cheese recipe. I used Sargentos Colby/Jack shredded cheese & extra sharp cheddar instead of the 3 cheeses listed in the recipe. I also added just a bit extra.

I sub on the cheese too. I can't eat much parmesan because of migraines. I use 1 cup of Sargento Mexican Blend, which is a blend of monterey Jack, mild cheddar, queso quesadilla and asadero + 3/4 cup of mozzarella. I don't think you could go wrong using whatever cheese you like.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read any replies, but would definitely change the milk to 2.5 cups cream; cut the cheddar to 1 cup; add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; and, 1/2 cup asiago cheese. Also, I'd nix the croutons and use panko bread crumbs instead: gives a nice crunch.

Valued Contributor

Thanks All for your suggestions/recipes!

Sounds like my basic recipe is OK but needs a little tweaking. I use a sharp cheddar (only). Maybe a new cheese combo - adding some American? My sauce is good. I'll try the evap milk.

Thanks everybody!

Respected Contributor

Please report back, Seehorse. I'd to know how it turns out.

Honored Contributor

We love ours very creamy like you! I avoid baking it! It is so creamy right from the stove top! I also never use a recipe that calls for eggs (none posted here use eggs...but I have tried recipes using them and didn't care for the binding!)

Our new favorite is Stretchy Mac & Cheese posted on recipe swap by NaturalBornWoman.

Another good one is Dangum Smoked Mac & 5 Cheese..you don't have to smoke it. Great from the pot. The combo of 5 cheeses he uses is delightful!

It uses chunks of cheese instead of all shredded. WOW...those chunks make it so creamy and gooey! All the cheese get melty in the pot. Again, I don't bake it but try to serve right from the pot.

I agree with Adoreqvc and always make my own bechamel sauce.

Trusted Contributor

I like creamy mac & cheese, and found a recipe that has no flour in the sauce. I am sure you could use macaroni, but I follow the recipe to make it low carb, and I use cauliflower.

The sauce is made with cream and cream cheese and of course cheddar. I think it is important to use good quality cheddar, and I don't use pre-shredded. I think the pre-shredded cheese is coated with something. I have made this with half & half instead of cream, but I think it is really delicious with cream and I suggest using that at least the first time you make this.

This is a George Stella recipe. I put my notes in parenthesis.

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy George Stella

6 servings.

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon

1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets (6 cups)

Vegetable oil spray (I just used a little olive oil)

1 cup heavy cream (heavy cream or whipping cream, NOT Ultra-pasteurized)

2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces (I used regular, not low fat)

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I used a little dry mustard)

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole (I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar, freshly grated) (4 oz cheese = 1 cup grated) (Do not use pre-shredded cheese)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I left this out)

Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish (I used individual casserole dishes)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray. (I just oiled the dish)

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. (Instead of boiling in water, I steamed the cauliflower for about 10 minutes.)

Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth.

Stir in 1 ½ cups of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.

Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

This is a picture in one of my individual casserole dishes. I should have kept it in the oven a little longer just so it was a little more golden, but I was hungry, lol.