Valued Contributor

Secret to Creamy Mac 'n Cheese???

I use the Mueller's recipe. I'm sure it's typical, yet it comes out on the dry side. Not horrible, but I'd like a creamier mac 'n cheese. Maybe I'm cooking my elbows too long?
3 minutes just seems too short. I don't use the croutons. This recipe fills a 9 inch square pan. It's enough for us.

Thanks!

Ingredients

8 oz (1/2 pkg)Mueller's Elbows
¼ Cup margarine or butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 Teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 Teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups milk
2 Cups (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup croutons

Cooking Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350°F.

• Cook pasta for 3 minutes and drain.
• In medium saucepan, melt margarine. Blend in flour, mustard, salt, and pepper.
• Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
• Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
• Gradually mix in cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
• Add pasta; mix lightly. Pour into 2-quart casserole.
• Top with croutons. Bake 25 minutes.

Regular Contributor

Re: Secret to Creamy Mac 'n Cheese???

ATK has a recipe for stove top M&C which is good. Instead of flour and butter, it uses evap. milk and eggs to make a custard base. It isn't healthy, but it sure is good.

Trusted Contributor

You know, my sister and I use the same mac and cheese recipe that used to be our mom's. Hers is creamier and she says it's because she uses evaporated milk. That's the only difference and hers is better than mine. We don't cook the pasta prior to baking. Everything goes into the pan and is all baked together. When I started using evap milk, mine got much creamier, too.

Honored Contributor

Maybe try adding a couple tablespoons of the starchy water from the cooked noodle back in just before you stir in the cheese. I have not done this, but have heard it does make for creamier texture. Just a thought.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I found a recipe that replaces half of the cheddar with American cheese and I find it comes out much creamier. I also buy the blocks of cheese and grate myself rather that using the packaged grated cheese.

Esteemed Contributor

This is Wolfgang Puck's Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese, but it can be done on the stove top as well. I have done it both ways. When I do it on the stove top, after it's done, I put it in a baking dish and put it in the oven at 400 for a few minutes to get that crusty top.

It is hands down the creamiest, best tasting mac & cheese I ever had.

Macaroni & Cheese

Yield: 2-3 Servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

1 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste

Directions:

Combine noodles, broth and cream in rice cooker. Press COOK and stir occasionally.

When machine switches to KEEP WARM add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly till all cheese is melted. Press COOK again.

It will switch to KEEP WARM after just a few minutes but this is the point where the cheese on the bottom turns that delicious brown.

Serve.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Occasional Contributor

Add some good old Velveeta with the sharp cheese for extra creaminess.
Respected Contributor

Add half and half instead of milk and it will be really creamy.

Super Contributor

This may sound odd, but any time I make mac n cheese I add either some sour cream or plain yogurt. It adds a lot of texture and creaminess and the flavor is also tasty!

Respected Contributor

The key to creamy Mac N Cheese is using a variety of shredded by hand real cheeses, and also making your own béchamel sauce because that will give the creaminess you crave.

Then boiling whatever pasta you use....We love elbows with the twist so the grooves hold the cheese, and then we assemble the mac & cheese, and add buttered bread crumbs on top.

Then it is baked in the oven until lightly browned and the cheese has melted well.

It can also be served straight from the stove top if you prefer no buttered bread drums...and as for the breadcrumbs they can be panko, redo flavored or regular bread drums, and some people use crushed corn flakes although we don't.

We have many favorites through the years, but below is a new favorite which is very creamy and delicious.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30436-homerooms-classic-macaroni-and-cheese