Respected Contributor

Re: Secret to Creamy Mac 'n Cheese???

I melt 4 tablespoons of butter, stir in 4 T flour, slowly add 2 cups of milk , stir until it thickens. Turn down the heat, add a 1/4 lb of velvetta and a 1/4 lb american.

Add 2 cups cooked elbows and bake. Comes out creamy and yum.

I've tried many different cheeses and recipes and I go back to this one.

Respected Contributor

Also I have found, don't add too many noodles, they absorb a lot of the liquid and will dry it out. I make sure mine looks "soupy" when I put it in the pan to bake.

Honored Contributor

I've found the creamiest mac and cheese starts with a white sauce like the first recipe in this thread. When I was a home ec major in college, this is how we were taught to make it. Mom always used the eggs and custard recipe and it had bits of egg in it. I wouldn't eat it. Yuck.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I always make it with the white sauce and cheese also. It is always creamy and delicious.

Cauliflower and cheese is not mac and cheese on any day!!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/31/2015 gkelly5744 said:

My mac & cheese might get "frowned upon" by some but it is stove top (can't stand baked)...very simple...boil your macaroni drain and add back to same pot (on low), add butter & Velveeta & milk , stirring until it is as creamy as your family likes!! Done!!

Always creamy & don't spend a fortune on different cheeses or much time getting it ready!!

I use my mother's recipe and it's milk, flour, butter and Velveeta.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/31/2015 colliegirls said:

I always make it with the white sauce and cheese also. It is always creamy and delicious.

Mr. oceantown says the same thing, lol.

I think this recipe is more delicious than mac & cheese made with noodles. But, that is me, and I like knowing it is a low carb recipe. I have even made pizza crust from cauliflower, and it is delicious too.

But, I know it is not really "Mac", which is why it is in quotes. I have never tried this recipe with noodles, but I bet it would be delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 oceantown said:
On 3/31/2015 colliegirls said:

Mr. oceantown says the same thing, lol.

I think this recipe is more delicious than mac & cheese made with noodles. But, that is me, and I like knowing it is a low carb recipe. I have even made pizza crust from cauliflower, and it is delicious too.

But, I know it is not really "Mac", which is why it is in quotes. I have never tried this recipe with noodles, but I bet it would be delicious.

Everything is better with cheese on it!

Esteemed Contributor

Add cream cheese to any cheesy white sauce until it is as creamy as you like.

Esteemed Contributor

On The Chew this week they used the cream cheese version