Honored Contributor

Re: Second peeler broke in Mark Charles' hand

I have to admit Woman Embarassed that I bought them.  Why, except extreme fatigue and I couldn't sleep, I don't know.

One word: JUNK.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

I hope you enjoy them. Just curious... to whom to you plan to give the extra four?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@house_cat  Yup, I can think of NO situation where giving a peeler as a Gift would end well.  Does QVC sell Dog Houses?

Oh please. 

What some people are too good for as a gift is simply beyond me.

Practical presents are great for those you are close to and know well enough to know what they need or could use and like. 

I can see several people in my life that something practical like this (don't know about this particular product, as I've never seen it) would be the perfect stocking stuffer for. 

I tire of people who are too good for certain kinds of gifts, offended by them, or expect expensive and personal only kinds of things. Comes off as not grateful and stuck up. 

This rant isn't based only on this post, but something that comes up routinely on here this time of year.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Sooner

I hope you enjoy them. Just curious... to whom to you plan to give the extra four?

@house_cat  They quickly were gifted to my good friend Mr. Trash can.  Only place they would be appreciated.  I still can't figure out WHY I ordered them.  

Trusted Contributor

I saw it happen the first time on ITKWD, but missed this one. See, now this REALLY affects his credibility in my book. The Q (or MC) obviously don't care about quality control. Someone could potentially get hurt if the blade cracks away so easily from the plastic handle. 👎🏼

I am actually in the market for one, my daughter purchased hers from Sur La Table and it is the finest peeler you can imagine. I'm amazed how well and easily it peels any veggie. 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have to admit Woman Embarassed that I bought them.  Why, except extreme fatigue and I couldn't sleep, I don't know.

One word: JUNK.

@Sooner

Don't beat yourself up over it, 😠 we've all been there (at least I have) many times!!! I almost bought them, but then saw how it cracked in his presentation. Luckily. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

I didn't mean to suggest that these are not good gifts for certain people.  I don't happen to know four people who would appreciate such a gift. I can see them as part of a bigger gift at a bridal shower, a wishing well gift, or for someone setting up a first home.  I love the disposal genie that I purchased a few months ago. It's one of my favorite QVC purchases.  Today they were selling them in groups of three.  I don't know anyone with three kitchen sinks, so I imagine they were suggesting giving them as gifts.... the same with the knife sharpeners, Scrub Daddies... on and on. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Mark Charles has always struck me as someone who would sell ANYTHING he was told to regardless of quality. Wish we could replace him with the Gadget guy from COOKS COUNTRY who does tests. Trust him a lot more than the slippery Mark Charles.

@Reever

It's what he's paid to do. I'm sure there are items he's not comfortable selling, but I don't believe he has a choice - other than to find a different job.  I like the Cook's Country product review guy, but if he made his living representing a particular company he'd do the same thing.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Remember when that guy who won some invention contest on the Today Show came on ITKWD. He must have been so excited that all his hard work was about to pay off...then his splatter cone caught on fire. Kind of felt bad for that guy. 

Honored Contributor

I just used one today.  I'm hard on them and it worked great.