Contributor

Re: Scorched Stainless Steel Pot Help!

I did the same thing to my favorite stainless steel pot. I tried everything, brillo pads, vinegar, soaking and boiling, nothing worked. I thought about throwing it out, but didn't want to give up on it. I just kept it soaking with warm soapy water in the sink. One day I came home from work and it was almost as good as new. I guess my mom, who comes over to my house to let my dogs out every day, got sick of seeing it.

I asked her what she did and she said, just some good old fashioned elbow grease and a brillo pad. I was amazed.

Honored Contributor

My mother would put water and some baking soda and bring the water to a boil, then a gentle boil(it can spill over quickly so watch it).

I've done that and then kept soaking and scrubbing and soaking several days again. It usually comes out-even the worst!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The water and baking soda really work on crusted, burnt pans.

HOWEVER.... if you burn a pan and it turns color (like a stainless pan turning grey-blue) scrubbing or destaining won't work. Taking off a layer of metal might work (sanding...steel wool....) because what has happened is that oxygen, sulfur and the steel have combined in a chemical reaction to change the surface of the steel. It's literally a new metallic  chemical on the surface, not something "burnt on."

My husband let the egg pan boil dry, and it was a WMF stainless pan. It turned blue and all kinds of colors. "Darlin' you may know computers, but I know chemistry. It ain't NEVER coming off." And--it didn't.

Valued Contributor

I recently read a post on a fb group that said she soaked pot in Oxiclean and water and it maded her scorched pot like brand new... worth a try

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you