Respected Contributor

If you order online, you get coupons in your email.  If you don't order for quite a while (2 or 3 months) they will send you a really good coupon to get your business back.

Occasional Contributor

Schwanns is wonderful.    We have had it delivered for 30 years.  They even gave us a small chest freezer delivered to my office to deliver employee orders each week.   Excellent quality and a huge variety of food items.   They started out with mostly ice cream items and have gone crazy.

I order from Schwan's all the time.  However, they don't deliver in my area.  The send it via UPS and its pack with dry ice so it is frozen hard.  I work so sometimes it's delivered when I'm at work.  I don't worry about it because ther is still dry ice in the styrofoam container when I open it.  Wonderful food and so easy to cook or heat up depending on what you buy.  

Honored Contributor

The strangest thing I ever saw regarding Schwanns was that one day, I looked up at the Amish farm across the road from me, and the Schwanns truck was there! 

The old order Amish that surround us are frugal (heck, they are beyond cheap...they don't want to pay a quarter for something at a garage sale!) so I couldn't believe they would buy processed food from an 'expensive' delivery system!

I saw the truck go there a number of times, and we live out in the boonies too, so my guess is that they go about anywhere if they have a customer base. 

My guess is that they were getting ice cream delivered. The Amish kids love ice cream, but they don't have any electric or freezers. They may have an ice box or a few have an ice house outside, but they can't keep frozen foods well for more than a few hours, at all, and the convenience of having some ice cream delivered every so often must be a real treat!

Honored Contributor

Somewhat more expensive than stores, but far cheaper than QVC and really great quality.

Honored Contributor

I especially like their LiveSmart selections. Healthy and good.

Contributor

Lombo4now...I use Schwan's quite a bit.  They have a lot of great food.

Trusted Contributor

We also have an Amish community near us.  We have draft horses and sometimes need their harness repaired or my husband buys blacksmith supplies.  We have become friends with our harness maker and often bring him and his wife ice cream in the summer, and they really enjoy it.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments and information!

I just tried Schwan's for the first time, and was I ever impressed! I didn't get any of the processed items or meals, just chicken breasts, pork chops, salmon filets, veggies. Everything is excellent quality--tender meats, individually wrapped portions, not too big but not stingy, and even the frozen veggies much fresher tasting than grocery store frozen items. 

The driver couldn't have been more pleasant or accommodating. Apparently I can order, pay, and get delivery just about any way I want it!

Prices are slightly higher than most grocery stores but the food much better. I'm well able to go the store, and still need to for fresh items, dairy, etc, but this service is going to be addictive. I'll try some prepared items next to see what that's like. If I were laid up or something, I'd be so grateful to have this source of good food.