Respected Contributor

Schwan's Must Haves?

[ Edited ]

Occasionally,  I receive a Schwan's mail order catalog. I got one last week and have been contemplating trying some things. Can someone who has ordered from them suggest some really good must have items to try. I probably won't order until the weather cools down though. I got a coupon for 20% off, first order, good until October 31st.😊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We like the fully cooked breaded Hot and Spicy chicken breast. Cook in oven not microwave. #590. Makes a really good chicken sandwich.

Trusted Contributor

I have tried a number of their items. First, they started as an ice cream company, and people say it's excellent. I don't like ice cream so I don't know.  I'm also told their pizza is really good and the price is great.

Their other items fall into two basic categories in my mind. One is prepared food--like breakfast sandwiches, cooked burgers in buns, soup, ready to cook or reheat meals. The other is what I think of as groceries--chicken breasts, pork chops, frozen vegetables, fruit. That's the category I mostly know about.

Obviously they have a huge selection. I like some things better than others, but the quality is always good and it's great to have, for example, an individually frozen chicken breast or two, to pull out of the freezer and cook. Most things you cook from frozen, but you can check the details online. Personally, I keep on hand frozen broccoli, peas, green beans, fruit for smoothies, chicken, bratwurst, soup, and mashed potatoes. They're my "stash" for when I need to make a meal easily and don't have fresh groceries.

They have specials every week, and extra discounts for AARP members. I've gotten excellent service from the driver, and think they are worth a try to see what you like. They will deliver in a an insulated bag with cold packs so you don't have to worry about the weather. 

Honored Contributor

ice cream.....all of it is excellent.

veggies and potatoes.....all are good

penne pasta, chicken bake, shepherds pie, mac n cheese

beef tips....easy to prepare, lots of gravy, and perfect for egg noodles.

lo mein and pot stickers

italian sausage and bratwurst

i can recommend a lot more.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

One thing i got last winter, do not get chicken pot pie,did not like at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

There are so many things I like. In fact, my Schwans order will be delivered in an hour. My current order consists of baguette bread, baked ziti, root beer float bars and French toast sticks. There are probably forty things on my regular rotation. By the way, previous poster didn't like the pot pies. If you bake (not microwave) them, we think they are excellent. Many times, we'll have a tossed salad and pot pie for a meal.

Valued Contributor

I have been using Schwan's since covid started in earnest.

My faves:

Ice creams, of course,

Italian meatballs- no gristle, lots of meatballs in the bag but I live alone so can split them up into several meals. 

The non turkey sausage-no gristle, nice and thick. A bit of shrinkage.

The fire-roasted vegetables. 

Cinnamon rolls-not huge, makes for a nice warm breakfast, has 2 frosting packets

Respected Contributor

Re: Schwan's Must Haves?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the replies!

Has anyone had their Spiral Ham, Crab Cakes, Prime Rib Shepherd's Pie, Marinated Salmon or Beef Tamales? How are their Apple or Pumpkin pies and Cheesecakes? Was thinking maybe I could order some items for Thanksgiving.🦃

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Thanks for all the replies!

Has anyone had their Spiral Ham, Crab Cakes, Prime Rib Shepherd's Pie, Marinated Salmon or Beef Tamales? How are their Apple or Pumpkin pies and Cheesecakes? Was thinking maybe I could order some items for Thanksgiving.🦃

Love the Marinated Salmon (pricey, but worth it), Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Red Quinua, and Egg White, Cheese, and Turkey Bacon Biscuit Sandwiches.  Any of the dessert and Ice cream products are wonderful.  I didn't like their tamales. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There are so many things I like. In fact, my Schwans order will be delivered in an hour. My current order consists of baguette bread, baked ziti, root beer float bars and French toast sticks. There are probably forty things on my regular rotation. By the way, previous poster didn't like the pot pies. If you bake (not microwave) them, we think they are excellent. Many times, we'll have a tossed salad and pot pie for a meal.

@AuntG 

we love the pot pies and always have those in our freezer.....turkey, chicken, beef. we only bake them in the oven. i like to brush some melted butter on the tops prior to putting them in the oven. i also sprinkle them with a little paprika.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein