Honored Contributor

Re: Scared off a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer purchase!

I have a couple of comments on this thread about Kitchenaid.

I absolutely know that QVC would and has sent out a "used" mixer, because I received it after ordering the recent KA TSV hand mixer.  My DH opened the box before I could get to it and his immediate comment was "Has this been used?"

There was a smear of something (like butter) on the silver plate where the beaters go in.  There were all kinds of scratches across the same plate.  The manual was crammed in at the top of the box and, as DH put it, the tape closing the box looked like someone just slapped it on willy-nilly.  It's already gone back.

Years ago, I also received a used Deni meat slicer.  That had some remnants of food on it and I know beyond a doubt it was used and returned, because the invoice of the man who sent it back was still in the box.  I still have it!  (I keep meaning to donate it, but that's on the to-do list.)

The Q apologized profusely, as I was able to supply the man's name, address, customer number (back in the days, they put that on the invoice) and his reason for returning it!

Also, the TSV hand mixer said "Made in China" which I thought was unacceptable, as the rep who presented the TSV said KA was "still made in America".  Maybe some of them are, but this one wasn't and it had a modified model number, with a Q in it.

I have an older KA hand mixer and a KA stand mixer, so I have nothing against the brand obviously.  But "stuff" does happen, even with the Q!

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Have you ever had any oil leak out of you               Kitchen- Stand-Mixer if you hadn't used it in awhile ?

This happened to mine - after 74 years of use. My DH repaired it using  U tube directions that kitchen aide told him how to find.It basically required he remove ALL the 74 yr old grease that was in there and when it was completely cleaned he repacked it with grease KA had sent us.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

Have you ever had any oil leak out of you               Kitchen- Stand-Mixer if you hadn't used it in awhile ?

I have owned 3 KA mixers - one from Costco, one from Williams Sonoma and one (the mini) from QVC. I have never had any kind of oil leak, or any other kind of problem for that matter, from any of them.

Where does the oil leak from? Did you perhaps apply too much oil? I would call KA customer service.

When the mixer is not used often the oil separates from the grease and leaks.The best way to avoid this is to use the mixer often.

Honored Contributor

@dimin wrote:

Speakiing of KA, are the glass or metal bowls better? Once I had metal (SS) mising bowels, probably cheap ones, and they got all scratched up. I  think I would like glass but I don't know for sure. Thanks

I have two stainless steel bowls (regular and small, both KA  branded)  They've held up well.  I'd be worried about breakage with glass bowls. 

Honored Contributor

@rezski wrote:

That is the mixer I grew up with! My mother had the citrus juicerand meat grinder attachments too. But my Costco Kitchenaid kneads bread and has much more power.

In the past, the Costco model has been the Pro.  My son has it.  Most people, especially those who purchase from QVC or a department store, get the Artisan model. 

Valued Contributor

Mine is the Pro and I bought it from QVC

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I have owned 3 KA mixers - one from Costco, one from Williams Sonoma and one (the mini) from QVC. I have never had any kind of oil leak, or any other kind of problem for that matter, from any of them.

Where does the oil leak from? Did you perhaps apply too much oil? I would call KA customer service.

When the mixer is not used often the oil separates from the grease and leaks.The best way to avoid this is to use the mixer often.

i wanted to add - this is why I use mine to make mashed potatoes. I make them at least once a week - usually more often - so it gets used as it should. They are made to be used - not to sit around as a decoration in your kitchen.

Contributor

I love my Costco Pro and I prefer the size for kneading bread.

Respected Contributor

@rezski wrote:

I love my Costco Pro and I prefer the size for kneading bread.

Actually, as a practical matter, you can knead bread with any of the KA mixers. It's just the amount of dough that you should knead differs from one size to another. The power of the motors differ from size to size so you should not try to knead a huge batch of stiff dough in the smaller sizes.

Honored Contributor

I did buy a Kitchen Aid food processor years ago that had been on waitlist.  That should have been my first red flag.  The rebate coupon was missing and weeks later I discovered one of the slicing blades was missing.  In other words, some customer ordered this unit, filched the rebate to cover their shipping and kept the slicing blade they obviously wanted.  It was 25.00 for me to replace the blade.  Moral, don't buy on waitlist.  My Kitchen Aid stand mixer came from a local estate auction 12 years ago and is still going strong.  It predates current models.