Trusted Contributor

I bit the bullet and paid $8 for a jar of Rao's spaghetti sauce. Then I overcooked the angel hair spaghetti and it is limp and awful. Is there any way to fix this? I don't want to throw it out.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee  Did you mix the Rao's with the pasta? If not, cook another batch of pasta.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I  mixed it together before I realized it was a soggy mess.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee  Yikes! Maybe a baked spaghetti pie? OR, just " Eat it, Eat it!"

Super Contributor

Rather than toss  it, I would put half in a baking dish, layer mozzarella, rest of macaroni, top with more mozzarella and bake it.  Everything is better with cheese melted in and on, IMO.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I bit the bullet and paid $8 for a jar of Rao's spaghetti sauce. Then I overcooked the angel hair spaghetti and it is limp and awful. Is there any way to fix this? I don't want to throw it out.

@geegerbee  Just a side note, Costco and BJs have Rao's for a lot less.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

Try Trader Joes instead. It has the exact same rating as Rao's:

Rating: 5
Price: $2.29 per 25-ounce jar ($0.09 per ounce)

Nutrition Info (per 1/2 cup): 60 calories, 440 milligrams sodium, 3 grams sugar

Our Take: Take a peek in the jar and you can see the chunks of tomatoes and pieces of basil. The sauce has a pleasant tomato flavor that's not overwhelming or too acidic. This was the only organic brand of the bunch (and the cheapest per ounce!) with no additives or sugar added. It also contains 25% of your daily vitamin C, which tied with Rao’s for the highest in the group.

Rao's is .28/ounce

Trusted Contributor

Re: Save the spaghetti?

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee 

Do a search for salvaging or fixing lover ooked/spongy pasta.  In the articles I found, adding the pasta sauce helps mask the overcooked spaghetti although it was suggested that the pasta be sautéd first.  Adding crunchy veggies will also help.

Since practicing social isolation, there was a period of time that I made meals primarily (or soley) from pantry/canned items until I was comfortable going out to the grocery stores again.  To amuse myself, in my mind I would become a contestant on Chopped when preparing these meals.Smiley Very Happy  For this pricey sauce and overcooked pasta, as a Chopped contestant, I think I'd puree the two items and use them as part of a base to make a creamy soup with lots of veggies.

Occasional Contributor

So does walmert.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Save the spaghetti?

[ Edited ]

Rao's has No sugar: 

Our sauces have no tomato blends,
no paste, no water, no starch, no filler, no colors, no added sugar.
Apparently that is why it costs more.than Trader Joes, Ragu, etc.
It was hands down the best rated on America's Test Kitchen.