New Contributor

Santa’s Red Velvet Cheesecake Casserole

Did anyone try to make this recipe?  My cheesecake part never set up. Could an ingredient be missing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Santa’s Red Velvet Cheesecake Casserole

I was curious if anyone made this.  Was going to print the recipe to have on hand.  I don't make desserts too often--just for company.  Hope you get an answer about the ingredients.

Respected Contributor

@lanon wrote:

Did anyone try to make this recipe?  My cheesecake part never set up. Could an ingredient be missing!

I must have missed the recipe..   I did a search on community forums and did not find it.    Was it on these boards?    Would someone be so kind as to post the recipe, please?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you type "David Venable's recipes" in the search bar, it will take you to his page.  Once there, go to Holiday Casseroles (I think that's what it was called).  This particular recipe is listed there.  

Honored Contributor

@KatieB

Found it under David's Recipes. I have never made this it shows it's a new recipe.

Santa's Red Velvet Cheesecake Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1 box red velvet cake mix
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 20 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 2 cups heavy cream, cold
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp crushed peppermints
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish liberally with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

• Combine the cake mix, eggs, butter, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a flex edge beater attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until fully combined, about 30 seconds. The mixture will be very thick. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 18–22 minutes, until the cake is just set in the middle. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.

• Meanwhile, clean the mixer bowl and add the cream cheese, sugar, and peppermint extract to the bowl. Using the flex edge beater attachment, whip the cream cheese mixture for about 30–60 seconds, scraping the bowl a few times, until the mixture is soft and fluffy.

• Switch from the flex edge beater to the whisk attachment. Add the heavy cream, beating it into the cream cheese mixture at low speed for 10–15 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then increase to medium-high speed and continue to beat until the mixture is incorporated and thick, about 60–90 seconds. 

• Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the cooled cake. Lightly cover and refrigerate for 4–6 hours, until set. When ready to serve, sprinkle the crushed peppermint over top of the cheesecake. 

• David's Note:
    • This dessert looks extra festive, thanks to a sprinkling of crushed peppermint! Adding the candy right before serving helps keep it from melting into the cheesecake.

Holiday Slaw with Pomegranate Vinaigrette

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @Nightowlz for posting recipe.    Recipe looks good minus the peppermint..  I'm not a peppermint lover, but I think it would be good without it...  It looks pretty with the crushed peppermint on top.   Guess the cake part is like a crust for the cheesecake.

Being from the south, I love Red Velvet anything and Cheesecake too!!!

Respected Contributor

@lanon   Looks like the eggs are missing from the filling..  That would definitely cause the filling to not set up...

Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@lanon   Looks like the eggs are missing from the filling..  That would definitely cause the filling to not set up...

But, the filling isn't baked. I don't think eggs would be used in an uncooked filling. Andif not cooked, I don't think eggs would set.

The filling is cream cheese, sugar and cream. Beating it would cause the cream to thicken. So maybe the filling was not beaten sufficiently? I don't know.

Trusted Contributor

SEveral things could be the problem:  Did you properly chill it?  Cheesecakes should really be chilled overnight for them to properly set up.  Did you use use cold cream cheese or did you mix the filling longer than the recipe indicated? Cream cheese should always be at room temp and the filling should be mixed for as short a time as possible.

Mixing it too long breaks down the emulsion created by the cream cheese and the filling will not properly set up.  Since the filling is not baked eggs would not be necessary. Cheesecakes can be really finicky

Trusted Contributor

I'm guessing that the baked part was not thorougly cooled and melted the cheese and whipped cream.