Super Contributor

Re: Sandra's Money Saving Meals

On 1/8/2014 Lynneuk said:

She is not one that appeals to me, too upbeat and perky. I am so surprised that she is Gov. Cuomo's partner.

I like to watch Ina Garten best. Love her recipes.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Regular Contributor

She has been on for years. The shows that are on now are all a couple of years old, but still good ideas. She also has a show called Semi Homemade where she uses a lot of store bought items and then perks them up. A little ironic - money saving meals that are done on a shoestring and then the show that splurges on store bought items. For the most part, both are good shows and she cooks real, everyday food with a little twist. Good directions and explanations. A good break from all the "contestant" game show style food shows that are on now.

Frequent Contributor

She is not one that appeals to me, too upbeat and perky. I am so surprised that she is Gov. Cuomo's partner.

Me either. I don't find anything special about her recipes. I bought one of her cookbooks at Big Lots, and I gave it away.

Regular Contributor

I like her and also her creativity in decorating. I used to watch her a lot years ago, and then decided to make a couple of her recipes. First time out with a recipe, I usually follow it to the "T", with the exception of adding hot sauce or stuff like that. My first recipe was so simple, but good grief......It was so runny and weird tasting. I couldn't believe it. Two weeks later I did another great sounding recipe of hers ......had to buy a couple of things for it, but that was o.k. I can't remember what all was wrong with it now, but DH said to throw it out. I did.

Then somewhere along the way I read on here about looking up the comments that were posted at the bottom of her recipes. Don't know how or why I had missed them. Wasn't looking enough, I guess. I looked up those two recipes, and holy cow, the responses to those two alone were absolutely dreadful. I couldn't believe it, so I started looking up all kinds of hers and found so many negative comments that I haven't made any of her recipes since. Like I said, that was several years ago, but now I like Ina's, Ree's, etc. and I'm happy with them. Perhaps Sandra's recipes are better now. I'd sure like to think so.

Super Contributor

Glad to read these comments and to find out when she's on. I've been curious about her and her food for some time. Might check it out. Thanks ladies.

Super Contributor

I've only watched a few times, but she does not appear to be a fussy chef. She doesn't make the kinds of meals I'd be tempted to try on a weekend or day off when I have all the time in the world. She cooks simple meals with straightforward directions. That's what I need during the week when time (and money) are scarce.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/8/2014 DoubleDown said:

Me either. I don't find anything special about her recipes. I bought one of her cookbooks at Big Lots, and I gave it away.

I can't get over the amount of alcohol the FN people cook with. and the alcoholic drinks, too. too many alcoholic cousins in my family when I was growing up who died from overdoing the booze. Ree's Tequilla marinade for grilled chicken really shocked me. but that is their business. you can always leave out the booze. not all of it cooks away as we have been told for years.