Valued Contributor

Re: Samsung Refrigerators - French door style....HATE!!!!

The thing about Samsung is there are never any reliable service places around if something does go wrong on a major appliance like a fridge or washer/dryer so then you are stuck without until parts can be found, ordered, and someone capable of servicing them can find there way to your house.  That is why I would hesitate.  Now as far as electronics like a cell phone or TV I think it is better in that regard.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

have to have a good ice maker......that is a must for us. water and ice cubes on the door.

we have a kitchen aid that is going on 20 years and pretty much on its last legs.

we have had a couple of issues with the ice maker, but we have a whole house appliance service contract so it costs us nothing when they repair it.

i would not hesitate to get another kitchenaid after this.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mare54 

You are NOT alone!!! 

I bought my french door Samsung in February, 2017 based on "salesman" recommendation even though I went to store to buy a GE or Frigidaire.  Worse thing was the Amana that came with the house was 18 years old & side by side nothing wrong just -- I wanted to update when I redid my kitchen.  I shopped for a year for best prices.

Fast forward, 13 months later (March, 2018) I noticed ice was not being made.  We noticed water in the bottom fridge part and a musty odor inside.

Never realized the ice maker line was frozen UNTIL 3 weeks later when I got up one morning and my kitchen floor was flooded with water & opened cabinet under sink -- water was "flowing" like Niagara Falls😡.

I immediately called Samsung - guess what out of warranty! Worse thing, I bought extended warranty ($379 5/yr) fine print ice makers not covered.

No local repair people would work on Samsung because the problem would occur again.

This is the ice maker as it was when the lines were frozen and chipped some ice away to see what was the "problem"..

4A6795D3-9FC1-4CA4-AE7F-70F7473DA5B1.jpeg

months of arguing with them I gave up!  Interestingly, I had to buy new washer this week & I asked salesperson why a reputable company like theirs would continue to sell Samsung.  The sales rep gave me the Customer Hotline # there was a class action suit against Samsung because there is a defective thermal coupler (or some type of shield) that was not installed at factory. apparently they are fixing defective ice makers!  I called and filed claim -- still waiting for the reply.  🤞🏻

I now make good old fashion ice cubes with trays.  A pain but works better.  Disconnected the water line BUT my new problem is the compressor runs so loud it's like living in a turbine factory.

I'm selling this piece of junk for best price As Is...and would never buy another fridge with ice maker. Sadly, it's just not Samsung my sister & others have same issue with broken ice makers🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

very smart it's amazing what damage is done from water.  My kitchen tiles started lifting after and my cabinet is slightly warped in the water line area😡

I had no idea to call homeowners to cover damages.  I had to have new kitchen floor installed they would have offset the costs after deductible.  

The things we learn after the-fact☹️

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   What happened to you was just awful.  I would be extremely upset.  I have hardwood floors in my kitchen, so I am very cautious about water leaks.

i had a dishwasher leak twice.  There was no floor damage though, because  I discovered  it right away.

The more bells and whistles there is on any appliance is just more things that can go wrong.

Honored Contributor

I will be needng a new refer pretty soon and want the french doors and the shelves that pull out,  but don't want the water disp/icemaker thing in the outside. I hate the look and also the mess. Haven't heard much good about the Samsung brand in appliances and was told by a repairman that the less bells and whistles the better, as far as needing very expensive parts and repair. 

Trusted Contributor

Don’t say “never again anything Samsung ”,@mare54, and shortchange yourself. Samsung makes superb TVs and smartphones. Stay away from their appliances, yes. But refusing the brand in spite of their excellence in consumer electronics, would be obstinacy. Samsung has a proven record of customer satisfaction and consistent quality in those other two product lines. 

It’s certainly your choice, but reading reviews and evaluating specific products should be a consumer’s obligation, rather than rejecting a manufacturer out of hand. Refrigerators and televisions are different technologies. Buy (or don’t buy) based on what’s best within categories, not across a brand name. 

Sorry your fridge is such a nightmare. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  We also have a Samsung French door refrigerator without the ice maker (we initially didn’t hook it up, then had an appliance repairman remove it). The space in our galley kitchen was so tight that I knew we’d have problems with the line. We buy bags of ice and/or make ice cubes in ice trays. 

There’s another problem where the condensate lines in the fridge freeze, resulting in ice blocks forming under the vegetable bins. This is a systemic problem and Samsung has a solution, but you have to turn your refrigerator off for two days so they can remove the inner rear panel without messing up the insulation. Instead, I remove the bins, chip out the ice and clean up the bins before returning them. It only takes a few minutes and I don’t have to worry about taking the food out of the fridge.

Respected Contributor

We have a Jenn Air French door fridge, but ours has the ice maker in the bottom drawer and an internal water dispenser. In the seven years we’ve had it, we’ve only had one repair.

Even though the manufacturers warranty had expired two years earlier, Jenn Air repaired it at no charge because it was a design flaw.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

We wanted French door refrigerator without water or an ice maker, but it was impossible to find.  We ended up with a GE but didn’t hook up the water or ice maker.  No matter what the brand, we’ve heard about too many problems with leaks, etc.  So far all is well.