Valued Contributor

Samsung Refrigerators - French door style....HATE!!!!

I have had this fridge for almost 4 years and had nothing but problems with the ice maker!  Needless to say NEVER EVER will I buy another Samsung product!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung Refrigerators - French door style....HATE!!!!

i would never purchase a samsung kitchen appliance or washer/dryer.

i have heard to many horror stories from family and friends, including my daughter.

i do love samsung phones though.

french door style i LOVE though for a refrigerator.

sorry you are having so many issues. i know it took my daughter many phone calls and about 8 technicians coming to her home to finally fix the problem. they had initially promised her a new refrigerator, but reneged on that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The ice maker is the most likely feature to break no matter the brand of refrigerator.  I think Consumer Reports suggest getting a refrigerator without an icemaker, but that's not happening here.  I do have a Samsung French Door and have had issues with mine, but mostly I think it's more about the way we use it rather than the brand.  

There's only the two of us, so the icemaker makes too much ice.  After it builds up and sits there awhile, the ice on the top sticks together into a big blob.  At that point, I'm unable to get ice from it or it chops it up.  I just open it up and empty out about half of what is there and we're back in business.  We did recently have to have something replaced in it though as it quit making ice and I'm wondering if it was because I had started turning the maker off when my husband was out of town so it wouldn't make so much ice.

I know my dad used to complain about his icemaker (not Samsung) that would spit out ice onto the floor after you had removed the glass.

Respected Contributor

When our ice maker broke, and it was too expensive to repair, we just said "bag it" and went back to ice trays.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Believe me, the brand has nothing to do with how much an owner can hate a refrigerator because of the icemaker.

I got a brand new SubZero years ago after  a professional kitchen remodel. 

I loved that fridge and put up with several straight years of having repairs  or replacements done to the icemaker and other functions of the fridge.

After about 6 years of  costly  nonsense with the icemaker, I  stopped using it and used old-fashioned  ice trays forever after that.

Appliance repairmen told me that  the overactivity of icemakers and buildup of ice dams in the upper part of the fridge were caused by federal government environmental rules for appliance makers...........designed to make appliances more energy efficient by cutting back on power used to periodically  defrost internal workings of a fridge.

I wound up having at least a few "after-market" parts installed to counteract the government rules, and the SubZero operated beautifully  for the next 15 years until we sold the house--except of course for the icemaker we had stopped using years before that.

The government rules no doublt have  kept appliance repair professionals in business.  I had years of previous trouble with GE refrigerator icemakers, too, so probably no brand is safe.

Honored Contributor

" were caused by federal government environmental rules for appliance makers.........."

I believe that ! Most of these dumb rules the Gov. comes up with are nonsense. Can't do that, this and something else. Then, it adds costs to the product no matter what it is, car, refrigerator, TV, etc.

Valued Contributor

We have a french door Samsung refrigerator - it's 8 or 9 years old and we've had zero issues. No ice maker though - plain model.

Respected Contributor

Grrr. My icemaker seems to work about once every couple of weeks. I give up on it thinking it’s finally died and in the middle of the night I’ll hear it plinking out ice.

I finally broke down today and bought a bag of ice for two dollars for 10 pounds 

Honored Contributor

I have a Samsung french door fridge.  It works great.  I never hooked up the ice maker.  I do not like auto ice makers in the fridge. They always have a break down and flood the kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 

Whenever the government gets involved - u know, there will be trouble.