Honored Contributor

Was gifted a selection of salts; Hawaiian Sea Salt-Coarse, StMexican Sea Salt, one Ground Fine French Sea Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Murray River Flake Salt and Yakima Applewood Smoked Sea Salt. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or what I should use these in? I don't have a clue, although I am happy to have the chance to try them, just don't want to make any big mistakes here. lol. Thanks for your help/suggestions. I'll check back later on today.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Taste a bit of each one to help you decide how to use them.  I would use them as finishing salts, not as salts in a recipe.  I would use the smoked salt on proteins and veg, but probably not desserts.  

Here is a link to a page that describes several of the salts you mention.

Have fun with them.

Frequent Contributor

The Himalayan Pink salt will make things taste a little like eggs. I like my smoked salts in Chili.  I don't eat meat but they would probably work well for that too.  I've recently started trying some flavored salts and found that using them on a neutral food like roasted potatoes helps you understand the flavor.  Then you can use them on more foods once you figure out what they would compliment!

Honored Contributor

Thanks nomless, and Mactective for your helpful replies. I appreciate it. I do think trying them on baked or roasted potatoes is a great idea and will look at the link provided also.

Honored Contributor

snicks, I cannot begin to tell you how jealous I am of this gift from your friend.

Please know, I cannot cook my way out of a paper bag but I am infinitely curious about spices and seasonings.  I so hope you enjoy this set of salts!

Trusted Contributor

@nomless wrote:

Taste a bit of each one to help you decide how to use them.  I would use them as finishing salts, not as salts in a recipe.  I would use the smoked salt on proteins and veg, but probably not desserts.  

Here is a link to a page that describes several of the salts you mention.

Have fun with them.

Yes, I agree with nomless. And @nomless thanks for that link to the salts website!

I've started using the Himalayan pink salt on finished foods. I really like it on popcorn, vegetables and pasta.

I was at a swanky restaurant and they flatened out hard butter and then pounded in some large salt crystals (not sure what kind of salt it was) into it.

Not only did it look good, the butter / salt mix was quite tasty. It really added a nice touch spread on the bread.

Honored Contributor

I have gifted these type of salts too and they are wonderful!!! I live in the town--Woodinville, WA, where we have Woodinville Salt Works and there are a myiad of flavors that I have tried and loved. First and foremost, alot of these salts are for the final seasoning on top of a dish, as they are too potent to use like reg salt. I LOVE the Yakima  and Applewwod smoked salts. I tried a smoked salt on some cantaloupe and wow what a yummy thing. Read those links about how to use them, but use them. I know salt can be a bad thing, but you need some salt and this salt adds so much to the flavor.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
@Snicks1: I can't find house_cat. Last time she posted, her dog was sick? Have you seen her?
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor
@wagirl; thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to get a canteloupe next time I go to the store, just so I can try that on them. Thanks again.
Honored Contributor
@LTT1, sorry I have not seen her post lately. Hope everything is ok with her and her family, includes the fur babies of course.