Valued Contributor

Was in the store yesterday, and saw this. It was the only yeast they had. Is it different than the Fleischmanns or Red Star? Do you use it differently?

TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

Best there is !  Didn't know you could buy in store? I have to buy online better then that amateur stuff hands down.  You must live in a exalted place to be able to just walk in and see that on the shelf.

I'm jealous !   King Arthur website sells it, but, I get a better grade then even what KA offers online and buy a pound at a time and freeze.

Honored Contributor

No, use the same as that cheap stuff. Take out of freezer the nite before to get to room temperature.

Regular Contributor

SAF yeast is the only brand I use. It's great stuff. I get it from King Arthur flour. I buy a couple of packages at a time and keep it in the freezer.

Sharke, where do you get the better grade? I would be interested in trying it.

Honored Contributor

What does Saf Yeast do that the cheap ones dont?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Best there is !  Didn't know you could buy in store? I have to buy online better then that amateur stuff hands down.  You must live in a exalted place to be able to just walk in and see that on the shelf.

I'm jealous !   King Arthur website sells it, but, I get a better grade then even what KA offers online and buy a pound at a time and freeze.

@SharkE, when you say "a better grade," are you referring to the gold package versus the red package?

Valued Contributor

@SharkE 

I have a feeling I only saw it in the store because that is maybe all they could get. There were only about 8 pkgs or so of the gold pkg on the shelf. I also found bread flour. About fell over in the aisle! One bag, so I grabbed it also. Going to make some bread this weekend now that I know the yeast is used the same way.

Thanks all

cookin

Respected Contributor

my mother inlaw when i showed her that yeast when i ordered it she said because it said instant on it that you dont have to wait for dough to rise. im assumming she is wrong. im thinking i would use it like i use other brands of yeast.. i make dough and let it rise for 2 hours.

Valued Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

Was in the store yesterday, and saw this. It was the only yeast they had. Is it different than the Fleischmanns or Red Star? Do you use it differently?

TIA

cookin

I have the Saf yeast that I purchased from King Arthur Flour. You would use it in the same way you would Fleischmanns or Red Star. There are two options of the Saf yeast; a red package and a gold package and if I recall correctly KAF recommended using the gold package for the sweet yeasty breads. 

I have used the red SAF package for all types of breads and have not encountered any issues. I store mine in the freezer. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE, when you say "a better grade," are you referring to the gold package versus the red package?

yeah, the red bag will say 'premium' on it , it is fast, fast.

King Arthur's is ok, too, I just always go for the best of everything I deserve it LOL