Respected Contributor

Sad news for Great British Bake Off fans

Luis Troyano from season 5 passed away at age 48 from oesophageal cancer.

I always liked Luis he was a kind person and a talented baker.

I was very saddened to hear this.

Luis Troyano smiling for the camera

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sad news for Great British Bake Off fans

@Abrowneyegirl  I'm a fan of the show, and was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing! Not only was he a fantastic baker, but he seemed to be a genuinely nice and kind person. There are some contestants that you just automatically gravitate towards, and he was one of them.

I'm sure Paul, Mary, Mel, Sue, and his fellow contestants were all saddened.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

I lost track of how many times I have watched The Great British Baking Show but Luis' creations always appeared to be well-executed and tasty by what the Judges said.

He always seemed very pleasant.

Very sad - he was only 48 years old too.

Honored Contributor

I remember him well - a congenial man and a skilled baker.  His wife posted a final message from the chef:

"A special thankyou to Macmillan Cancer Support, East Cheshire Hospice and the NHS including Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust and Stockport NHS Foundation Trust for trying to save my life and their tireless work to try and eliminate cancer. But more importantly a massive thank you to all the amazing professionals who really did try their absolute best for me, showed me absolute compassion and gave me more time than what was seemingly possible. I thank you sincerely."

RIP, Mr. Troyano.

Trusted Contributor

Such a shame.

R.I.P. Luis, a very nice man, enjoyed his shows. 

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

I am in the process of watching back seasons of this show!  The one I just watched he got Star Baker!  He seemed such a kind and sweet person.  I felt very sad reading this and so very young.  Condolences to all his family and friends.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin