Respected Contributor

3-4 quart should work just fine for 2 people....

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I was thinking of picking up a 3qt slow cooker/crockpot.  Would that be a good size for two people?  Don't want to cook large amounts and then have to freeze (and forget to useWoman Frustrated).

Also, what's the difference between a slow cooker and a crockpot?  And, which would you recommend?

TIA

@eddyandme For two people a small 4 qt one is ideal.  We have a little white oval one, cheap one, and I think the brand is Crock Pot.  We do three or four large boneless skinless chicken breasts in a little tomato sauce and spices every few days.  

Just don't let them go too long!  With a crock pot, or slow cooker, if you have one too big with too little food in it the food gets tough and watery.

What size your cooking pot is really is a big factor in cooking!  I Learned that from Le Creuset instruction and cook books!  

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I just got this one and really like the size, I was able to cook cheesy hash browns in it, filled it up, but it is only 4 qts so small enough for just 2. On Amazon. image.jpeg https___images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com_images_I_61omw9bgAyL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
They also make it with auto sets but I don't need that. 

@HerRoyaLioness We have that exact same one and use it way more than we ever used a bigger one.  I have a big All Clad one that hardly ever gets out of the garage.  This one we use a lot.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme ...............To me a crockpot and a slow cooker are NOT the same.

I have a slow cooker and it has multi functions, plus the crockpot cooking function.  I have the 7 qt size.

I think you would be disappointed with the 3 qt size.  That is very small.  A larger size does not have to be filled to capacity, just fix the amount you want.

I really like mine and use it all the time.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

No matter which one you buy ... word of advice: 

Buy boxes of crock pot liner bags.

Reynolds Kitchens Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts), 6 Count

Honored Contributor

I have two sizes.

I first bought the larger size - but found t was just to big for one person - but good for dump cakes.

Bought the smaller size - perfect size for meals.  Generally - if I cook a full pot of something, I'll get three servings (3 days).

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@eddyandme ...............To me a crockpot and a slow cooker are NOT the same.

I have a slow cooker and it has multi functions, plus the crockpot cooking function.  I have the 7 qt size.

I think you would be disappointed with the 3 qt size.  That is very small.  A larger size does not have to be filled to capacity, just fix the amount you want.

I really like mine and use it all the time.

@Imaoldhippie 

Do you mind giving the specific brand/name of your 7 quart slow cooker?

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze ..............I dont mind at all, its a Cosori

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I want to thank everyone for all your wonderful advice!

After reading everyone's comments, figured I'd go for a 5qt - not too big and not too small.  But I'm also pinching pennies right now and found one online at Wal----.  It is a 6qt and will hold a chicken as well as many chicken breasts, which I'm cooking a lot of right now - my Eddy is very ill and the drs. recommended boiled chicken breasts, so I think cooking a bunch in the slowcooker will work.

@vabreeze , if you're in the market for a 6qt, Wal---- has one online for $22.  It's a Pioneer Woman brand which I understand is made by Hamilton Beach.

Again, thank you everyone - you've helped me soooo much at this trying time.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the liners - just ordered a box off Ama***