Honored Contributor

One of my sons picked up a Whitman's Sampler box of chocolate and gave it to me right before Christmas.  It had Christmas wrap on it from the factory.

The first piece I ate was the chocolate covered cherry.  It was hard and dry inside.  The other prices were hard and dry too.    I had to toss the whole box...it was pretty awful.  I know that box wasn't that old.  It was made for sale for this year's holiday time.

I didn't want to hurt my sons's feelings, so I didn't tell him.  I wonder what is wrong...I never had that happen before.  I wonder if the weather or storage had anything to do with this.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie 

Hi, I don't know if its just what we were used to it, its been around forever and now theres so many (better) options? Someone mentioned Doves -  I also love Doves chocolate.

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE.  Often, before a holiday, Albertsons has the Russell Stover BOGO free.  I occasionally pick up this special and it's always just fine.  You have Albertson's don't you?

Used too , went out of business. Everything is going out of business

CashSavers just went out, too.   Only groceries now is Walmart & United

Fiesta Market too mostly Hispanic related

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby   Yum!  Me too.  Especially the dark chocolate.  I never had a bad experience with Dove.

Honored Contributor

There was a huge Fiesta near me in Houston, and I used to live to go there.  Produce that I never saw before to try.  That's where i first discovered mangoes at 5/$1.  They had long aisles devoted to diffetent countries, like a ton of British products.  

Fun to shop there.  So many new things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just discovered sugar free Russell Stover made with Stevia at WalMart and boy are they good!  Fresh, all the standard pieces and I didn't get that old reaction from the old sweetener (aspertame)!!  I'm now very happy to have my two-piece chocolate craving satisfied once in awhile.  Makes my diabetic life a little easier.... Woman Wink   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

My favorite chocolates are made by Ben Hegge's in Ohio, but they can be ordered by phone or online.  Service is always friendly and efficient and the candy is beyond delicious.  Every time I gave a box for Christmas, the recipient became a customer too (and I never lived in Ohip, but did visit there and now have them delivered to family in NJ or to me in CA. ) Yum!

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Just discovered sugar free Russell Stover made with Stevia at WalMart and boy are they good!  Fresh, all the standard pieces and I didn't get that old reaction from the old sweetener (aspertame)!!  I'm now very happy to have my two-piece chocolate craving satisfied once in awhile.  Makes my diabetic life a little easier.... Woman Wink   

The sweeteners used in diet candy was sorbitol and mannitol.  It made it taste really good and creamy and smooth.  Also caused digestive issues..

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I don't even buy them any more.  They have not been the same for several years now, and yes, I have gotten old ones as wel

@Sooner.  I have to disagree; I haven't noticed any changes over the years.  RS also now owns and makes Whitman's Sampler.  It sure beats any candy I've gotten on a TV shopping network.

Is that right ? I didn't know Stover's owns Whitman's. LOL   

when I sent a complaint to Stover's I told them Whitman's was better ! LOL

@SharkE- Yes, Russell Stover and Whitman's are owned by the same company.  If you check out the Russell Stover website, you'll see the other brand they also own.  (Pangburn's or something like that.)

I would've taken the box back to the store for a refund.  RS guarantees the quality of its chocolates, so I'm sure you'll get something like coupons or a refund from them.  The fact is that it could've been caused by the way the chocolates were stored by the retailer or even something that happened in transit.

I love Russell Stover but so far have resisted all the sales they've been having on their website!  They only thing I don't like is that they've come out with a "New and Improved" variety and they've decreased the number of chocolates and removed DH's and my favorites!

Honored Contributor

think they got froze up somewhere in Alaska. I got two 1,000 crowns in my mouth and not taking a chance.  Either give away or put in microwave LOL