Trusted Contributor

I just treated myself to the vertical broiler from Ronco, and it just made me the best broiled, bone-in, skin on chicken breast I've had in years. Decades, maybe. I just put fresh lemon juice on the breasts and let them sit for 10 minutes, than put then in the Ronco broiler and let them cook. Crisp skin, very juicy and tender inside--just wonderful. Tried a steak after that with just a touch of salt and nothing else--same results.

The unit is a bit fussy to clean and doesn't seem terribly sturdy, but I'm going to use it often for as long as it lasts. I'm not sure why it produces such good results. Better than my regular oven broiler, better than an outside grill, better than a rangemate. Lots better.

I found that the two things I've broiled so far have taken about 25% longer than their chart says. I don't care--it's totally worth it.

Anybody else loving this unit? What are you making?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ronco Ready Grill is Great

This unit intrigued me, but I worried that it would be a pain to clean. How bad is it, if you don' t mind  saying ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I was so tempted to buy.   I have other Ronco products & love them.  I call this one a "meat toaster".    I live alone & believe it would be perfect for me and I would probably be more likely to eat better.

@KaySD wrote:

I just treated myself to the vertical broiler from Ronco, and it just made me the best broiled, bone-in, skin on chicken breast I've had in years. Decades, maybe. I just put fresh lemon juice on the breasts and let them sit for 10 minutes, than put then in the Ronco broiler and let them cook. Crisp skin, very juicy and tender inside--just wonderful. Tried a steak after that with just a touch of salt and nothing else--same results.

The unit is a bit fussy to clean and doesn't seem terribly sturdy, but I'm going to use it often for as long as it lasts. I'm not sure why it produces such good results. Better than my regular oven broiler, better than an outside grill, better than a rangemate. Lots better.

I found that the two things I've broiled so far have taken about 25% longer than their chart says. I don't care--it's totally worth it.

Anybody else loving this unit? What are you making?

Honored Contributor

Is it sold here?

Trusted Contributor

We like it so much I bought 2 so we would have a back-up one when the first one dies (hopefully not for a very long time).  I also bought an extra basket for each grill unit so if one was in the dishwasher I would have a clean one in the unit ready to go.  We just make simple things…steaks, chops, etc. but the food tastes good and it is easy…exactly how I want to cook these days.  I have always been happy with the Ronco products I have purchased through the years. 

I used the Sunbeam Rocket Grill your years (which was vertical grilling, but done in a parchment bag) and we loved it!  We got that one at QVC, too.  We were sorry to see that one get discontinued years ago because there was no clean-up…just toss the parchment bag in the trash and it was done.  The food was excellent and even had grill marks on it. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@indoorkitty, It's not that bad, just more than swishing out a skillet. You take the drip tray out from the bottom--very easy. Then you slide the two reflective sides up and out of the top slot. They are rather thin and curved, so you have to be careful not to bend them. There are two small side pieces, but they may or may not need to be cleaned each time--it depends on how much spatter there was from oil in the food you cooked. Once out, the sides and tray are quite easy to clean. And you have to do it each time, because the reflective sides are a big part of the cooking process. Then you have to put them back in carefully. But really, not hard at all. And so worth it. I just polished off a piece of broiled salmon that was so delicious I almost couldn't stand it. I broiled it with thick slices of a red potato and a handful of asparagus (which I added about halfway through). A-mazing.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE Yes! And at the best price I've seen anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I like your idea, @Havarti. Maybe I'll buy another one as well. It might last a long time, but then again, it might not. Especially since I am using it often, because the results are just so good. Did you buy the basket here at Q? I kinda hated paying almost as much for the basket as for the whole unit. 

Honored Contributor

On clearance

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD   I just figured the price on the grill ($33) was such a bargain on clearance that $20 for the back-up basket was worth it to me.  Having both is barely more than the cost of the grill alone at most other places and I knew it was something we would use often.  Did you know that there is a cookbook for the grill and a steamer basket out there on Amazon?  They are not items I am interested in, but I saw them recently and never knew there were more things to go with the grill.  We used to buy the Ronco rubs and those were soooooooooooo good!   They have discontinued the original ones we liked so much over the years, but I saw on the Ronco site that they have 2 news ones ($5) – we will have to order some soon and give both a try.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.