Honored Contributor

Re: Resolve to buy a USA made kitchen item in January!

I don't think I really need anything for the kitchen right now.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

On 1/3/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 1/3/2015 MScotty said:

I honestly can't think of one more thing I need for my kitchen this year except for maybe a Lodge enamel-cast iron Dutch Oven.

Those are made in China.

Well darn! My sister just got one in October and I could have sworn that she said she did the research and it was MIA. Thanks for letting me know.

Their regular cast iron is USA, but the enameled is as they state on their website made in their partnered foundry in China.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 italian baker said: Bennington Potters pottery made here in Vermont..They have a website. The pottery is lead free.

Their pottery is beautiful, I love it but don't have any. I have collected Rowe pottery for decades, made here as well, and love it too.

Honored Contributor

I honestly can't think of one more thing I need for my kitchen this year except for maybe a Lodge enamel-cast iron Dutch Oven.

Those are made in China.

Well darn! My sister just got one in October and I could have sworn that she said she did the research and it was MIA. Thanks for letting me know.

Their regular cast iron is USA, but the enameled is as they state on their website made in their partnered foundry in China.

It's kind of a shame because Lodge is such a good company. For all we know, they could be well made but generally Chinese-made enameled cast iron is something to avoid.

Super Contributor

Done. Husband wanted a cast iron pan and I got him the Lodge 12"" one from Wal Mart for Christmas. He tried it last night. It came preseasoned and it worked like a dream. It had a made in USA tag on it.

Super Contributor

The only stainless steel flatware made in the USA is called Liberty Tabletop. It is made by Sherrill manufacturing in New York State. It is made in the old Oneida manufacturing plant (Oneida moved to China.)It was founded by two former Oneida executives.

Here is the newspaper article about it: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/11/sherrill_manufacturing_americas_only_remaining_flatwa...

Esteemed Contributor

Great idea! I was thinking about this very thing earlier today with regard to the entire house and belongings.

I had to purchase a "French curve" for use in making my GD a kimono top. It's by Dritz, which has been around for over 100 years and was made in China. When I saw this, I was disgusted with Dritz and myself. I really must make an effort in 2015 to purchase made in America.

Esteemed Contributor

Is the Spurtle sold on QVC made in the US?

Super Contributor

Wearever Mirro a cookware classic is an American company. Sub-Zero is American also. Both would be a great addition to your kitchen!

Frequent Contributor

I just bought a Lodge pan and some Fiestaware pieces. Not kitchen items, but we bought a shuffleboard table that is made in Grand Rapids, Michigan and a pool table made in Tennessee.