Honored Contributor

Re: Relatives not sharing a recipe

My Dad’s mother made the best macaroni and cheese. She never shared the recipe. When she had us over for Thanksgiving and Christmas no one was allowed in the kitchen. She would make everyone’s plate and bring it out on trays to serve everyone and did the same for refills. My brother resented me because I could never duplicate the recipe. My Mother’s mother was the opposite, she enjoyed sharing recipes and teaching grandchildren how to cook and prepare her recipes. I have several of Mom’s recipes. After Mom died my brother would get irate because my chicken and dressing never tasted exactly like Mom’s and he would state- you have her recipe but you mess it up- I followed the recipe with no substitutes. Yet he claimed that when I made her yellow cake with fudge frosting- perfect😲! Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I'm always happy to share a recipe! But so often, especially in cooking, recipes can be tweaked according to one's (and their family's) palette.

@chickenbutt

Ah! That explains it! I think I called on you a couple of times to share something, and now I forget what it was. No worry! But at least I know it wasn't personal. At least I hope it was not.

My uncle owned a bar and a restaurant + catering business. My, how they could cook! I waitressed for them for years. Why didn't I ever think to ask for the recipes?!

Oh dear, I'm sure it wasn't  personal, as I'm really not like that at all.  But it could be that I just didn't see it - or I'm not sure, but I'm sure I was not ignoring you on purpose.  Smiley Happy  

I don't spend as much time here as I used to, either, so I imagine I miss a lot.  

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt - I saved the recipes from Hollee's site several years ago.  Just for grins I checked and there are 2 there attributed to you!  Basil Shrimp and Feta Orzo and No Bake Cookies.  

Not a relative, but there was a guy in my office who brought the best banana pudding to an office potluck.  I asked for the recipe (he said his wife made it) but gave him an out by saying "if your wife is willing to share."  Well, he jumped on that and I am still wishing I had that recipe.  He probably just did not want to be bothered to remember to ask.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

I get that when they had a business the recipe was guarded but we, as family would not pass  it out and none of us were going to open a competing business but it was their decision.

My maternal grandmother lived with us and neither she or Mom used recipes. They didn't do fancy but man could those women cook.

When I was engaged I was 18 and didn't cook.Mom was making something and said come here I'll show how to make this.I had no interest and said if you can read you can cook. I did learn, some trial and error, and became a really good cook. Can't sew, have 0 musical talent or ability, 0 artistic talent, but darn i,t I can feed people.

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@chickenbutt - I saved the recipes from Hollee's site several years ago.  Just for grins I checked and there are 2 there attributed to you!  Basil Shrimp and Feta Orzo and No Bake Cookies.  

Not a relative, but there was a guy in my office who brought the best banana pudding to an office potluck.  I asked for the recipe (he said his wife made it) but gave him an out by saying "if your wife is willing to share."  Well, he jumped on that and I am still wishing I had that recipe.  He probably just did not want to be bothered to remember to ask.  :-)

Hi!    I have to say, and I hope the info was provided with the recipe, that the Shrimp and Orzo recipe was not written by me.  I actually got that one, some 20+ years ago, in 'Cooking Light' magazine.   I tweaked it just a tiny bit but not much.  Haven't made that one in ages, but I miss it!  Smiley Happy

The 'No Bake Cookies' is one I also love.  I I think I got it from Allrecipes.com and only tweaked it a bit.    I love those so much!!  I kind of simplified the recipe a bit to really emphasize the cooking time because it's important.  No thermometer needed, just cook for that amount of time.

Respected Contributor

About 20 years ago at work someone occasionally brought a cheesecake that was amazing in it's lightness and heigth.  It was a "secret family" recipe that she said she could not share but now I believe it was what is now widely known to be a Japanese style cheescake.   For years I've searched for recipes that could be that light and high.  This is the only possibility.  Really annoying that it was such a secret.

Honored Contributor

When he sold the  place, the recipe may have gone with it.

So he no longer owned it & not allowed to share.

Just a guess.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

About 20 years ago at work someone occasionally brought a cheesecake that was amazing in it's lightness and heigth.  It was a "secret family" recipe that she said she could not share but now I believe it was what is now widely known to be a Japanese style cheescake.   For years I've searched for recipes that could be that light and high.  This is the only possibility.  Really annoying that it was such a secret.

@Free2be

This is the recipie I use:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/japanese-cheesecake-

Good luck.

Hung

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2

Put on your detective cap...and go to Google.

Type in the name of the restaurant, location & the phrase ‘chili dog’.

See what pops up.  

If the chili dog was that good, maybe there were other customers

out there wanting the same recipe. People get very nostalgic w/ food.

And you might find exactly what you’re looking for!

Esteemed Contributor

My grandma was a great cook & baker. The whole neighborhood smelled her cooking & came running over for samples. Grandma tried sharing her recipes but it didn’t work because she prepared them from memory.If you asked her how much salt she would say “a little “. If you asked her how many eggs she would say “a few”.

Unfortunately, Grandma’s recipes died with her 37 years ago.I’ve yet to taste food that comes close to her cooking!!