Super Contributor

Reheating Tough Steak in a Slow Cooker

Have you ever cooked beef that turned out tough and then used a slow cooker to have the meat as left over?  Did it tenderize it at all?

Honored Contributor

Re: Reheating Tough Steak in a Slow Cooker

Yes, I have taken tough roast beef, put it in the pressure cooker to cook for 5-10 minutes with onions, potatoes, and beef broth, and got more tender meat for beef stew.   

Honored Contributor

I'd chop it up in my Vitamix or a food processor, mix with a little mayo and some chili sauce and use it as a sandwich spread. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@bcherry01 

It's the cut of beef that makes it either become tougher or more tender with increased cooking time.

If it's a cut that only gets tougher, and its already tough, I wouldn't cook it any more.

I'd shred it or slice it so thinly it doesn't require much chewing.

I did this with tough roast pork.

Wrapped it and put it in the freezer until semi-frozen. Then sliced it soooo thin on a mandolin slicer. 

Piled it on a bun with horseradish & BBQ sauce.

Respected Contributor

I just chop in up and make a version of stroganoff. Use Cream Mushroom, onions, beef broth and pour over rice or noodles. 

Or chop finely and heat with BarBQue sauce for chopped beef  sandwichs.

Respected Contributor

@bcherry01   Slow cooker will not help you.  You needed to start with a slow cooker if you bought let's say a rump roast.

I agree with the other ladies, how about chopping it up small and making a batch of chili?

Esteemed Contributor

I think the damage is done, the crockpot can't change that. I agree with @Kachina624 make sandwich spread. 

Super Contributor

Just so you all know what the outcome was, I used a slow cooker and cooked on high for about 3 hours and it really tenderized the meat and dinner turned out good.

Honored Contributor

OH--- I just did that very thing---had a beautiful flap steak--kind of like a flank steak---marinated it over night then put it in my airfryer---OMG---so tough!! thought it was a sirloin---- I sliced it thin and then stir fried it for a bit and ended up with a very nice meal-----need to read the labels a little more carefully!!!Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I add beef broth and a splash of wine, add fresh mushrooms and onions.