Honored Contributor

Regarding quality of weekly sale items at the grocery store.

[ Edited ]

I purchased Breyer's chocolate chip ice cream last night, because it's DH's favorite and it was on sale for $3.99 from it's usual $5.99.  Well, whaddaya know - there were so few chocolate chips that we had to check the carton to see if we purchased the right one.  

I'm wondering if manufacturers skimp on quality when they are trying to push out large quantities for special promotions.  Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I emailed Breyers and told them how disappointed we were in the quality of the product.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Regarding quality of weekly sale items at the grocery store.

Send them a picture of the opened carton, showing how few chips there are. Look for a batch number and/or date and get a picture of that too @house_cat.
Every business has some form of Quality Assurance that just lives to follow up on things like that.
Honored Contributor

I don't think large manufacturers skimp on quality for a sale.  

Honored Contributor

Not too long ago, I bought 2 packages of Chips Ahoy cookies and when I opened them to fill the cookie jar they were so broken they had practically been reduced to trays of crumbs.

I posted pictures on their Facebook page.  They responded right back to me and after giving them the store name and the bar code off the packages they sent me coupons.

Honored Contributor

@housecat...I haven't had this experience.  Sale items seem to be the same, but I can understand items being pushed that are about to expire or have had a lot of negative reviews even though this has not been my experience.  Your ice cream should have been exactly the same as before the sale.  Perhaps you should document and let the company know about recent quality control....I'll bet you receive a coupon to replace.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

@x Hedge

I contacted them through the Breyer's website.  The form I filled out required all the codes from the package, so i have every reason to think they'll take my complaint seriously.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

They'll send you a coupon(s) for a free replacement.  Most consumer-friendly companies do this.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it is just items on sale.  Quality control is terrible from clothing to food.  Nothing seems to be left out!  Buy 2 of anything and they are different!

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it was just standard for that brand.   I've tried Breyer's and found the brand to be inferior.

I do well with Dreyer's (it has another name in the East that eludes me at this moment) and Tillamook for half gallons.   For pints, Haagen Dazs and B&J's are always good choices.

Or, hey, maybe they are cutting back on the chips to save money.