Contributor

Regarding TT...just sayin...

IMO, after reading the reviews for the last several years, and after owning several pieces myself, I believe the quality issue didn't start until TT switched manufacturers. The older pieces say Made for CSA on the back and they are the much better quality. When the company switched they put LLC on the back, and these unfortunately aren't the good quality pieces they were in the beginning. The best way to get the better quality is to purchase on ebay or 2nd hand outlets. I still use my older pieces and so far haven't had any issues out of those. Just sharing a friendly thought...

Super Contributor

Re: Regarding TT...just sayin...

qmis......good post.

That could account for why there is such disparity in people's experience with the product. If those who have only good things to say are folks who purchased early on, that could be the reason they aren't having as many problems.

Perhaps those who are having a lot of problems with crazing, breakage, etc. bought theirs later on after the manufacturer change.

Honored Contributor

That is a very astute observation.

It's obvious the quality went down...but I didn't know they changed suppliers!

Respected Contributor

That's interesting. I got mine out to check. I checked my 8x8, that says CSA. I checked my 9x13, that says LLC. I haven't had problems with either one. They are both still perfect, and I've used them a lot. I will say that the smaller one, that says CSA, "feels" different, a little weightier, maybe?
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I have had good luck with all of mine - though I will say I have mostly older pieces - I did buy the gingham set this summer and used it a lot with no problem.

Honored Contributor

You may be on to something here. All my pieces but one that are here in Florida are older - and they do say CSA on them My polka dot 9 x 12 does say LLC , but I only use it to make lasagna for the most part which isn't often.It still looks brand new.

Honored Contributor

I checked almost all my TT and they are CMS except for the set of 4 little pots with covers (not with the dish that some had). I think they were my last TT purchase since the lilac color was much more muted and not the original lilac that I had bought before. So far they are holding up. The difference in color (plus lilac not being available) has halted my purchases of TT. I'm glad to have this information about the manufacturer.

Contributor

It seems to me the older TT pieces were a bit heavier, not too heavy, my reason for kinda pushing them to the back of the cabinet was they did not have any type of handles to grasp. Newer ones do. Always was getting the potholders and tea towels stained with food. Hard to get out of oven especially if a heavy casserole. Found a wonderful 3 piece baking set at Sams Club last week. Also had a 4 piece smaller bowl set that had handles. The baking set had a wider lip all the way around and was abour 3 inches deep. Larger piece would comfortably hold a ham or even a turkey. Cooked ribs in and washed like a dream. Sorry did not check to see where made but my husband always checks (always wants american made as do I) that and he was the one that got both sets. Come in beautiful red and also cobault blue. Should check them out. Lovely pieces.

Honored Contributor

My experiences with TT started with the very first sets, and I have to say that I don't find the older sets to be necessarily better. There has always been an inconsistency in quality. I have some very old (relative to the existence of this line) pieces that have crazed, and new stuff that is built like iron.

In my opinion and experiences, I think that they have different facilities producing different sets and lines, and everything from the quality/weight of the ceramic, competency of the artisans, quality of glazing and firing procedures depends on what manufacturer they are using. Some old stuff is bad quality, some newer stuff is wonderful. It seems like it is just a plain c r @ p shoot as to what you will get.