Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ree Drummond - Hard Boiled Eggs In Gravy

While I'd never put hard boiled eggs in turkey gravy, one of my favorite comfort foods is to make a white sauce and add a little Velveeta cheese and sliced hard boiled eggs and serve it over toasted English muffins. Creamy and delicious!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

It was on a show I recorded yesterday.

It was on shortcuts and she used jarred turkey gravy (a no no in my kitchen).  It has chopped celery and carrots which were sauteed and then she chopped up hard boiled eggs and added them. I have to say it was the strangest gravy I ever saw.

Are hard boiled eggs in gravy a regional thing?  If so, why do you add them?

@CrazyKittyLvr2, My mom always put them in giblet gravy for Thanksgiving but not in gravy at other times. Some cooks grind up the boiled eggs so fine that you can't tell that it is in the gravy but have the taste. I disagree that it is tasteless. There is a noticeable difference when they are not there. We also used them in chicken salad , potato salad etc.

Respected Contributor

I've never tasted that combo of hard boiled eggs with turkey gravy but a favorite indulgent breakfast of mine is scrambled eggs with country gravy or country sausage gravy in a casserole with keilbasa slices, shredded hash browns, grated cheddar cheese and sliced scallions.

The eggs and gravy pull it all together.  So I have to think those Southerners knew something about eggs and gravy and I'd be willing to sample theirs, though I'd still prefer mine.
Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:
I've never tasted that combo of hard boiled eggs with turkey gravy but a favorite indulgent breakfast of mine is scrambled eggs with country gravy or country sausage gravy in a casserole with keilbasa slices, shredded hash browns, grated cheddar cheese and sliced scallions.

The eggs and gravy pull it all together.  So I have to think those Southerners knew something about eggs and gravy and I'd be willing to sample theirs, though I'd still prefer mine.

That doesn't sound as bad since there are other ingredients and the gravy used is made for breakfast and goes with breakfast items. That kind of gravy with eggs, while I'm still not sure I would like it, makes more sense than eggs in turkey gravy.

Super Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't know about regional maybe more a family thing. It sounds disgusting. It's funny yesterday I posted about this in another thread my mil put hard boiled eggs in her stuffing. Also very strange and I never saw the benefit. 

@Lali1   My family is from the south. My grandmother, mother, and some aunts always put hard boiled eggs in their cornbread dressing. I have continued that tradition. The family loves it.

Super Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I am a white trash cook & I love creamed eggs!

Hard boiled eggs chopped up, put them in a skillet with some butter to warm them. Mix milk & flour:; pour over the warmed eggs. Salt & pepper. Heat & stir until the gravy thickens.

Serve it over toast, biscuits, English muffins....delicious!

@Dusty1   Not sure I could eat this--just because I am a picky eater-but hubby might like. Due to COVID we don't get out and about much and fix meals at home almost 100%. Think I will try this on him.

Respected Contributor

@WildDunes As I typed it out, it sounds gross, but it is so warm & comforting.

Like noodles over mashed potatoes. Gross, but so good.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have no interest in tasting this.👎

Respected Contributor

@WildDunes wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't know about regional maybe more a family thing. It sounds disgusting. It's funny yesterday I posted about this in another thread my mil put hard boiled eggs in her stuffing. Also very strange and I never saw the benefit. 

@Lali1   My family is from the south. My grandmother, mother, and some aunts always put hard boiled eggs in their cornbread dressing. I have continued that tradition. The family loves it.

I'm from the south too my Mil made it like that but my mother never did. I believe like I mentioned before it's not always where you're from but maybe more family recipes that have been passed down. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH is a born & bred Southern boy whose home-economics-university professor Mom (who died when he was only 9-yrs. old) was featured in the Atlanta metro newspaper as "one of Georgia's best cooks".

We still have the newspaper clipping of that story.  It featured photos of my husband, his sis and Dad in their newly installed 1950s state-of-art kitchen.

I wonder what DH's Mom would think of hard-cooked eggs mixed in anything else.  I don't think DH would like it much.  He likes his boiled eggs as deviled eggs or just peeled and eaten as is.

DH to this day loves both giblet gravy for turkey and soft-cooked eggs for breakfast.

I opt out of both those recipes!!   Sadly, but maybe thankfully, I don't have to compete with his Mom in the kitchen.