Respected Contributor

Re: Ree Drummond - Hard Boiled Eggs In Gravy

I saw the show. She was trying to use shortcuts to make an easier thanksgiving. I think she was doctoring the store bought gravy to make it tase more homemade and like the giblet gravy.

I grew up in the south and we did not eat giblet gravy at my house but I ate it at other peoples houses. It was not as bad as it sounds because they use a small amount and chopped it very fine. It seemed to help thicken the gravy as ell as add protein to it.

People are used to what they grow up with. We do not have to like it but we should be respectfull of different likes.

I prefer my mom's dark roux gravy because that is what I grew up with.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Yeah -- what's with that?  I mean the runny egg thing on top of everything any more??? I watch a lot of cooking and cooking competition shows on t.v. and they will make a decent looking dish and then they will sock a runny egg on top and ruin it!  Ewwwww!  Yuck!  Grosses me out!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom and her entire family always put hard boiled eggs in giblet gravy for the holidays here in Texas in case it is a regional thing.  I never cared for that type of gravy so no I did not do it for my own holiday meals.  Just made brown gravy for the Turkey instead. 

Dressing or as some say stuffing is not complete without its own hard boiled eggs as well.  Then of course you have to have just plain hard boiled eggs for part of your sides.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It reeks of desperation to come up with something new to me.

Respected Contributor

Her recipe is a shortcut for old-fashioned giblet/egg gravy.  Here is a recipe for it.  Where I live (SW Missouri), no one fixes this type of gravy.  (Even though Ree Drummond only lives three hours away from me.)  My sister's MIL came for Christmas one time and was in charge of the gravy.  She lives in California.  She fixed it like this, and I couldn't eat it.  And I'm not a picky eater.  The eggs added nothing to it, imo, and it was just odd all the way around.  

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/giblet-egg-gravy 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of it and it sounds disgusting to me.  I find myself watching her less and less.  It's almost non-existant now.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

I have seen hard-boiled eggs as one ingredient in southern cornbread stuffing.  Not something that I plan to add, but it may be delicious.  

Not it's not delicious. It adds no flavor at all. 

@Lali1 I don't see the point in it and I don't put them in meatloaf either.  I buy lean ground beef and add flavorings but not bread and eggs. 

Especially boiled eggs. Think about heating the stuff up over and over those eggs just turn into a rubbery tasteless nothing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

It reeks of desperation to come up with something new to me.

@depglass LOL!!!  I think that it is a very very old thing when people had chickens they raised and not a lot of veriety (edited: variety!  or "veriety" if you prefer or need a laugh) in their diet.  It was a way of stretching the gravy. 

Trusted Contributor

I have never eaten hard boiled eggs in gravy but think it would have a similar taste as adding giblets.  When I was in the 8th grade one of the dishes we learned to make was called "Eggs ala Goldenrod" which was a roux made with flour, butter, and milk to which you added chopped up whites from hard boiled eggs.  You put that on toast and used a grater to grate the egg yolk on top, seasoned with salt and pepper.  I still like it to this day although now that I cut down on gluten I use cassava or arrowheat with almond milk and butter.  I grew up in Oklahoma so maybe like Ree, it's a regional thing. 

Respected Contributor

Not only do I think it would taste terrible but it would look disgusting. I mean imagine what chunky brown gravy would look like! Gross!