Frequent Contributor

Re: Ree Drummond - Hard Boiled Eggs In Gravy

The first and only time I saw and had this gravy with the eggs was at Cracker Barrel in Florida.  For my taste it was, once and only, any time I ordered something with gravy, I made sure it wasn't the one with eggs in it ...... lol

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I have seen hard-boiled eggs as one ingredient in southern cornbread stuffing.  Not something that I plan to add, but it may be delicious.  

Not it's not delicious. It adds no flavor at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

I have seen hard-boiled eggs as one ingredient in southern cornbread stuffing.  Not something that I plan to add, but it may be delicious.  

Not it's not delicious. It adds no flavor at all. 

@Lali1 I don't see the point in it and I don't put them in meatloaf either.  I buy lean ground beef and add flavorings but not bread and eggs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@hopi wrote:

Sounds awful, 

Ree almost always uses boxed and prepared and canned items, lots of butter, creams,  and sugar also.  The same type of cooking that everyone blasted Paula Deen for doing.

I hardly ever see her using boxed and prepared foods.

I have seen her use boxed stock, I've seen her use canned beans, canned green chiles, things of that nature.  I wouldn't consider her to be a "semi-homemade" cook or a doctor it up kind of cook.

Well than you missed this morning show

Honored Contributor

I think her shows have really gone downhill in the last year.  Both on the at home with the kids issue and the content is severely lacking. It is mostly stuff thrown together. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hard boiled eggs in gravy -- ugh -- makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.  

Respected Contributor

I was watching that show with my mother.   We both thought it was gross.  Mind you, I'm not a big fan of her anyway.   Not interested in her kids, etc. 

Honored Contributor

My Mom would put hard cooked eggs in her red spaghetti sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@hopi wrote:

Sounds awful, 

Ree almost always uses boxed and prepared and canned items, lots of butter, creams,  and sugar also.  The same type of cooking that everyone blasted Paula Deen for doing.

I hardly ever see her using boxed and prepared foods.

I have seen her use boxed stock, I've seen her use canned beans, canned green chiles, things of that nature.  I wouldn't consider her to be a "semi-homemade" cook or a doctor it up kind of cook.

@CelticCrafter - For the past few months, she has been using a lot of prepared foods in her recipes, but she has openly stated that doing so is an attempt to help those with limited access to specialized items and limited time due to the pandemic (including herself and her family). Her shows have been quite different this year, but I've still enjoyed them.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

I'm from WV and have never seen, nor eaten this.   

My family does not add eggs to our dressing.   

I am disgusted by fried eggs as toppers on burgers, etc.   

@RedTop - when fried eggs became the in thing to add to burgers I never got it.  I decided to try it one night and oh my, it was the best burger I have had!  

When I was in Cambodia of all places, the fancy hotel where we stayed topped all of theirs sandwiches  with a soft fried egg from burgers to club sandwiches.

That was a surprise.