Honored Contributor

Re: Red Velvet Cake ~ What am I missing?

I think it is disgusting. I won't eat it.
Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 shoekitty said:
On 3/2/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I love red velvet cake. My grandmother had the best recipe (which I don't have). The cake she made melted in the mouth. It was like no other. Her homemade icing was the perfect companion.

I've never tasted such a great cake. So sad, I never got her recipe.

I bet her secret ingredient was love and devotion.

one of the best cakes ever!! My grandmother & my mother made red velvet cake from scratch and it was always the very best! I also never got the recipe but it was a "special" occasion when they made it!

Frequent Contributor

BUTTERMILK is the taste and tenderness of red velvet cake. I don.t think it was ever meant to taste like chocolate. See Joy of Baking .com recipe .

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 fanb said:

BUTTERMILK is the taste and tenderness of red velvet cake. I don.t think it was ever meant to taste like chocolate. See Joy of Baking .com recipe .

Yes, it is a moist, dense cake. The buttermilk and vinegar add to the moistness. The cocoa, is for texture and moistness as well. . The cake is not meant to be a chocolate tasting cake. I agree about the dye, but as I said you can replace the red dye with an organic or natural dye. I use them all the time. You can make the cake without a dye, but you need to adjust the recipe. There are a couple cooking sites that discuss the substitutuions

Regular Contributor

Red velvet cake is supposed to be an aphrodisiac. I'll let someone else have the last word on that.

I can tell you that all that red dye seems to have a dramatic intestinal effect on small children, so eat with caution. A chef friend of mine once made one for a birthday party and it was a disaster.

Esteemed Contributor

I rather like Red Velvet cake (a local bakery does amazing red velvet cupcakes with super tangy icing--yummy) but what's the story with King Cake served up during Mardi Gras? Nasty!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

Gardensia: The King Cake tradition actually started in France over 900 years ago. The cake would be baked on the eve of January 6 to celebrate the visit of the three kings to the baby Jesus. In New Orleans King cake parties are held all over beginning that date and the tradition is to place a small figure of the baby in the cake, and the guest who gets the figure hosts the party the next week. The cake is round, symbolizing a crown, and decorated with sprinkles or sugar dust colored green, gold and purple, symbolizing faith, power and justice. The last party is the week of Mardi Gras.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Russell Stover has added a Red Velvet chocolate covered egg to its repertoire this year, along with cookie dough and brownie caramel- I LOVE their coconut eggs, and now there are so many to choose from!