Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a Countertop Convection Oven?

Breville, but it is pricey. The quality is outstanding, though.

Trusted Contributor

I originally purchased the Oster Digital oven that Tigriss posted a picture of.  It is huge and takes up so much counter space, not to mention that when you open the door, it hangs over the counter and will slam down unless you are very careful.  It also was very inconsistent in heating, burned things and gave off a lot of heat because it is not insulated.  I returned it and purchased the Brevile oven like QVC sells and love it.  It preheats very fast (unlike the Oster), cooks evenly and doesn't heat up the kitchen.  The cord is a good length and reaches my outlet - the Oster's cord is extremely short and is on one end of the oven.  Also, the Breville's digital display is very easy to read.  I've heard good things abougt the Kitchen Aid, but the print on the knobs is not easy to read.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I originally purchased the Oster Digital oven that Tigriss posted a picture of.  It is huge and takes up so much counter space, not to mention that when you open the door, it hangs over the counter and will slam down unless you are very careful.  It also was very inconsistent in heating, burned things and gave off a lot of heat because it is not insulated.  I returned it and purchased the Brevile oven like QVC sells and love it.  It preheats very fast (unlike the Oster), cooks evenly and doesn't heat up the kitchen.  The cord is a good length and reaches my outlet - the Oster's cord is extremely short and is on one end of the oven.  Also, the Breville's digital display is very easy to read.  I've heard good things abougt the Kitchen Aid, but the print on the knobs is not easy to read.  Good luck!

@WORKING GAL, I cannot tell you how glad I am that you posted what you did!  I bought this Oster at the recommendation of a friend and have had it for 1.5 years.  I use it almost daily...mainly to bake frozen bread or rolls as we have hot bread with most meals.  But I have also used it for small cakes, cornbread, small casseroles, etc.  I have found just what you did...it heats inconsistently.  No matter what setting, the back left area gets hotter than the rest, and I also discovered that mine is 25 degrees too hot on any setting.  The toasting/broiling setting is a joke since the element is so far away from the upper rack.  I've compensated by using an inverted pan under the baking tray to lift it higher.  All that being said, I have learned how to work around its quirks and use it often.  I didn't realize the Breville was insulated, so that is another plus for it!  I don't find that the Oster heats the kitchen up as much as my regular oven but am glad to know that about the Breville.  Because I can see that I use a large countertop oven a lot, I am buying the Breville as soon as this Oster dies (please hurry).  lol  Thanks, again!

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Breville convection/oven countertop model. It's an investment but I found mine at BBB with a coupon so it made it easier on my budget. Breville has a good warranty. I've used it for everything from bagel bites to lasagne to roasting a turkey and baking pies. The one I have is an average size. There are quite a few models now.  Think about the size of the pans that you want to use in the oven and check the inside measurements on line. I needed to be sure I could put the extra lasagane pan in mine for the holidays.  I have a few Breville kitchen products and really like them.  

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL  I don't have the Oster, but it has been talked about in favorable terms here before and is a reasonable price.  I have a Delonghi that is some 10 years old.  It is a large convection/rotisserie/oven that I use frequently, especially in the summer, since I hate to warm up the whole house with the kitchen oven.  The next oven I want to buy will be able to fit a 9x13 pan.  Anyone know one of those?

Respected Contributor

Apparently the digital Oster, the second one, does fit a full sized Oster and baking sheet of similar size. Someone did say the top and door do get very hot but not the sides.
Respected Contributor

Here is another Oster that fits a 9x13 but has french style doors so the glass doesn't hit the counter top edge.

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-TSSTTVFDDG-Digital-French-Stainless/dp/B014D9LBCY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_produ...

They do say the front and top get hot, but for half the price of the Breville and the size, it may be worth it.

Honored Contributor

My Calphalon XL fits 9x13 and also I know that some of the Breville models also fit that size.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Super Contributor

I bought the Breville without the light but with the cutting board about 2 years ago. I love it and haven't used my builtin wall oven since. I bake in it; I roast in it; I toast in it. It is perfect for me and my smallish kitchen.

It comes with some baking/broiling pans. I went on Amazon and bought a 12" pizza stone and it is beyond perfect. It is a perfect fit for the 12" frozen pizzas from DiGiorno. I also bought the Chicago cookie sheets - 2 of them- for baking cookies. I make biscuits, cakes, pies, etc. I also bought a small covered roasting pan (the kind with the white speckles) and I bake a whole chicken in it and a turkey breast. Amazon has lots of bakeware for the smaller ovens from lots of sources. I like Chicago and Nordic Ware for my little oven.