Trusted Contributor

Recipes for people who hate to cook?

Does anyone have simple recipes for people who hate to cook?

I'm thinking of putting together a recipe book for a friend, who's had a really hard year this year.  She really doesn't like to cook, but is taking care of her grandchildren part-time after the death of her daughter.  So, she must cook for them, of course.  I was thinking of some recipes that are good, yet simple, to make her life a little easier. 

Thanks for any recipes!  Heart

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipes for people who hate to cook?

[ Edited ]

@mtc

posted a 3 ingredient list a while back this one is amazing.

You should add one more cup of water and 1/4 a stick of butter and Velveeta will  work perfectly.

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/3-ingredient-one-pot-mac-and-cheese/efc75d23-c25f-4bf1-bb49-70d9d...

Nothing is more simple than a slow cooker. Found this sight but have not tested them.  But nothing comes out bad in the slow cooker.

https://totallythebomb.com/33-3ingredient-slow-cooker-recipes

Honored Contributor

My meatloaf recipe:  Ground beef (or turkey or meatloaf mix), some chunky Pace salsa.  Throw about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of salsa into a pound or pound plus a few ounces of ground meat.  Mix, throw in loaf pan or shape to loaf and put on cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 or 375 until done, 165 on thermometer.  Govt says 160, but I go to 165 degrees just because I am paranoid. 

I wish I had a real recipe for this, but this is what I do.  Put ketchup on top when it starts to brown if you like that. 

Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77-

That is so sad!

Its hard to imagine that loss.

I'm glad she has you as a friendSmiley Happy

My son and I used to really like this and my 95 err 21 year old mother (shhh) still makes it.

Macaroni, or noodles boiled.

plus can of tuna fish

frozen peas

mayonaise

Eat cold or I guess you could eat hot.

I don't really enjoy cooking but didn't mind this at all-actually kind of fun mixing it all together.

note: the peas seem to thaw enough from the hot macaroni so you don't even need to cook them.

You can add hard boiled eggs if you want.

Also-french toast is fun every once in awhile.

Just dip slightly toasted bread in beaten egg, fry in hot pan with butter.

Serve plain or with jam, or cinnamon sugar (some like syrup)

Its fun to make pizza together. Just buy the crust and get all kinds of colorful vegetables to put on and cheese and whatever sauce.

Go to trader joes -its great for people who hate to cook and can never think of anything! They have so many interesting things-frozen and otherwise-I even like going and I hate grocery shopping! Maybe the kids can help. Even my little 17 mo old grandson loves to go and points out things he recognizes. His favorite is the snack bar. Today they had really good blackberries!

I bet she might like it if you helped her one night-keeping her company and doing it together?

It must be so hard what she and the children are going through.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Boiled chicken breast & french fries...

Sauce pan full of water.

Add your favorite seasonings.

Plop in the chicken breast & cover.

Heat on medium - 1 hour.

I have a "counter top fryer" which I use to fry "real" french fries.

==========

Po Man's BBQ chicken.....

Preheat=Medium heat large skillet/frying pan.

Add PAM to bottom of skillet.

Cut up chicken into parts.

Wash them.

Season chicken.

Add chicken into large skillet/frying pan

Add/pour Ketchup & your favorite seasongs all over the chicken parts.

Cover over medium heat.

Stir frequiently.

Cook for 30 minutes or till meat falls off bone.  Whichever comes first.

Add salad

or

bake potatoes

or

mash potatoes

or

sweet potatoes

or

corn on the cob

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Most kids love grilled cheese sandwiches. With a veggie, it's a meal. Nutritional value depends on the quality of the bread and cheese. Add tomato soup if they're really hungry.

Scrambled eggs for supper. Again, with a veggie. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 this is hands down the best chicken recipe I have ever made and everyone I have handed this recipe off to agrees.  Easy and delicious:

http://myfridgefood.com/recipes/entree-chicken/easy-roast-chicken/

Bless you for helping your friend and good thoughts and prayers for her and her family during this painful time.  Heart

eta:  here is another one from Trisha Yearwood that is delicious and easy to make:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/pork-chops-and-rice-recipe-2124315

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 this is another recipe that has gotten great reviews on these forums.  What I like about it is that it is easy to scale to fit those of us that cook for one or two in case there are selective eaters:

Aunt Bertie's Scalloped Potatoes

Thinly slice enough raw Russet potatoes to fill a baking casserole the size you need. I use a deep corning ware dish. The number of potatoes you use depends on the number of people you are serving, but do not make for fewer than four, as the method won't work. Use Russet potatoes or it won’t turn out right. 

Salt the potatoes lightly if desired.

Pour enough heavy cream over the top of the potatoes to come within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes.

That's it ladies, just two ingredients, potatoes and cream. You'll find that people will swear that you put cheese in them. They come out thick and rich and delicious.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, depending on size of dish. They should be crusty brown on top and tender when pierced with a knife.

This recipe is exactly how my Grandmother taught me to make them,

I do add onions to mine. If i don't have heavy cream on hand I have made it with evaporated milk and they came out great.

I have also added chunks of ham if I have it in the house. I like it with the ham too.

Respected Contributor

"That hamberger stuff"

1 lb ground beef  crumbled and browned/cooked

1 can  condensed tomato soup

1 can green beans ( no salt added is more tender) I use 2 cans.

mashed potato to top.

METHOD:  preheat the oven to 350 F. (if using mashed potato)

In an ovenproof skillet brown/cook the crumbled ground beef. Pour off the grease.

Add the condensed soup and stir.

Add the drained green beans and stir.  ( at this point you can just warm it up on the stove and serve.)  or

Top with mashed potatoes and heat in oven until heated through and the potatoes develop a little color.

Quick, Easy, Done. 

Honored Contributor

If your friend has a crockpot or slow cooker, get her a receipe book for meals to fix in the crockpot.  I do a lot of cooking in my crockpot.  I also fix a lot of pot luck dinners for my church.  Throw it in and forget it.  Also, if she has a George Foreman grill, or anyother brand name.  They are easy and quick too, and not much clean up.  A hint you can give her is for her to spend a day cooking things a head of time and freezing them.  In this case I would recommend Pioneer Womans cookbook "Dinner Time".  Lots of useful hints in that book.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)