Valued Contributor

Recipes for Infused Water and Iced Tea

Does anyone have any recipes that they would share for great infused water and iced tea using fruit, herbs, etc.? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes for Infused Water and Iced Tea

Here's a good video for a few...from Fully Raw Kristina. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/nxraujoMuic

Honored Contributor

I don't use recipes, I just toss fruits or herbs into my water and wish for the best.

I like to add lime to just about anything and I think basil goes well with unexpected things, like watermelon.

Respected Contributor

Fruit and Herb flavored water from Monica at The Yummy Life

Ingredients

• fruit -- 2 cups berries, citrus, melons, pineapple...most fruits will work (see recommended amounts in directions)
  • herbs -- a sprig of mint, basil, sage, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, or lavender
  • water (tap or filtered)
  • ice

Directions

Supplies needed: 2 quart pitcher or jar with lid; muddler or wooden spoon

General formula for whatever fruit/herb combo you desire.
1. If using herbs, add a sprig of fresh herbs to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon to bruise leaves and release flavor; don't pulverize the herbs into bits.
2. Add approx. 2 cups of fruit to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon, just enough to release some of the juices
3. Fill jar/pitcher with ice cubes.
4. Add water to top of jar/pitcher.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Suggested flavor combinations:
ALL CITRUS (no herbs) -- Slice 1 orange, 1 lime, 1 lemon into rounds, then cut the rounds in half. Add to jar and proceed with muddling, add ice & water.
RASPBERRY LIME (no herbs) -- Quarter 2 limes; with your hands, squeeze the juice into the jar, then throw in the squeezed lime quarters. Add 2 cups raspberries. Muddle, add ice & water.
PINEAPPLE MINT -- Add a sprig of mint to the jar (you can throw in the whole sprig; or, remove the leaves from the sprig, if you prefer to have the mint swimming around and distributing in the jar). Muddle the mint. Add 2 cups pineapple pieces, muddle, add ice & water.
BLACKBERRY SAGE -- Add sage sprig to jar and muddle. Add 2 cups blackberries; muddle, add ice & water.
WATERMELON ROSEMARY -- Add rosemary sprig to jar & muddle. Add 2 cups watermelon cubes; muddle, add ice and water.

Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I don't use recipes, I just toss fruits or herbs into my water and wish for the best.

I like to add lime to just about anything and I think basil goes well with unexpected things, like watermelon.

two thumbs up for the lime! Especially key limes
Respected Contributor

Flavored Ice Tea from Monica at The Yummy Life

Ingredients

• 4 tea bags or 4 teaspoons loose leaf tea
  • 4 cups tap or room temperature water
  • FOR ADDING FLAVORS, CHOOSE FROM:
  • 1/2 cup fruit jam or preserves
  • 1 cup fruit juice/drink (pomegranate juice, apricot nectar, black cherry juice, grapefruit & orange juice, apple cider, etc.)
  • 1/3 cup thawed frozen juice/drink concentrate (lemonade, orange juice, etc.)
  • spices (2 cinnamon sticks, 1 teaspoon whole cloves, 2 tablespoons crushed crystallized ginger, etc.)
  • spring of fresh herbs (mint, lavender, rosemary, basil, thyme), chopped
  • 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla or almond)
  • 2-4 tablespoons flavored syrups/sauces (maple, blueberry, caramel, etc.)
  • additional sweeteners to taste, if desired (sugar, simple syrup, honey, agave syrup, etc.)

Directions

These recipes use the refrigerator tea method. No boiling water or steeping in the sun. Combine the ingredients, and let them steep in the fridge. Read more about making refrigerator tea at http://theyummylife.com/blog/2010/08/22

Use a 1-quart Mason jar or pitcher. A tea basket or ball is needed for adding flavors using jam/preserves, herbs, or spices.
--If using tea bags: hang tea bags inside pitcher or jar with strings hanging over the rim (for easy removal later). Add jam/preserves or spices to tea basket or ball and insert in pitcher or jar. Add fruit juices or extracts to jar/pitcher. Add water making sure that tea and added flavorings are immersed, cover, and put in fridge for 6-12 hours. Remove tea bags, basket, or balls and serve. (Read full blog post for detailed photos of this procedure.)
--If using loose leaf tea: add 4 teaspoons tea leaves to a tea basket, tea ball or tea filter bag. Add flavors and water as described above.

FLAVOR SUGGESTIONS:
~Raspberry Tea--Put tea bags or basket of leaf tea in the jar, add 1/2 cup raspberry preserves to the tea basket, fill jar with water.
~Apricot Almond Tea--Pour 1 cup apricot nectar into jar, add 1 teaspoon almond extract, add tea bags or basket of leaf tea, fill jar with water.
~Mint Tea--Put tea bags or basket of leaf tea into jar; add a loosely packed 1/2 cup of mint leaves, cutting the mint into the tea basket; fill jar with water.
~Apple Spice Tea--Pour 1 cup apple cider into jar; add tea bags or basket of leaf tea; add 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 tablespoon cinnamon chunks) and 1 teaspoon whole cloves to tea basket; fill jar with water.
~Caramel Tea--Put tea bags or basket of leaf tea into jar; add 3-4 tablespoons caramel sauce; fill jar with water.
~Pomegranate Tea--Pour 1 cup pomegranate juice into jar, add tea bags or basket of leaf tea, fill jar with water.
~Lemonade Tea--Pour 1/2 cup of lemonade concentrate (from frozen can) into jar, add tea bags or basket of leaf tea, fill jar with water. (This is similar to Arnold Palmer Tea.)
~Cherry Vanilla Tea--Pour 1 cup cherry juice into jar; add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; add tea bags or basket of leaf tea; fill jar with water.
~Caramel Apple Tea--Put tea bags or basket of leaf tea into jar; add 3-4 tablespoons caramel sauce; add 1 cup apple cider; fill jar with water.
~Ginger Tea--Put tea bags or basket of leaf tea into jar; add 1 tablespoon crushed crystallized ginger to tea basket; fill jar with water.
~Ginger Peach Tea--Same as Ginger Tea above, plus add 1/2 cup peach preserves to tea basket or 1 cup peach nectar before filling jar with water.

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone for the posts and suggestions. Can't wait to try them!

Regular Contributor

Cucumber Water with Lemon

>2 quarts water

>1 medium cucumber

>1 small lemon

Place water in a large pitcher. Using a zester, peel strips of the outer skin every inch lengthwise across the cucumber. Remove and discard the ends and cut into large wedges. Add to the water. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Cut lemon into 6 slices and add to the cucumber water. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours longer or up to 6 hours. Serve cold over ice.

Respected Contributor

I haven't tried it but the last few times I checked into a Hampton Inn, most have fruit infused ice water in their lobbies and I love it. I've seen them have water and ice with lemon/orange slices and one with berries and strawberries and love it.