Honored Contributor

I have three knives that I purchased in the 1970's and paid over $100 for each of them.  They do get dull and I just sharpen them.  They are the best knives ever and are very different than the cheap ones I own as well.

if you can afford good knives and are willing to hand wash only .they are a good investment.

Honored Contributor

My dad, who was a lover of tools and a knife collector, taught me how to correctly sharpen knives with a whetstone and oil.  I've got some expensive knives and that's how I sharpen them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

To be honest, $100 is what I have paid for my small kitchen knives, not even the larger ones like Chef knives!  Good knives are a treasure and delight to use.  Buy the best knives you can possibly afford.  Collect them over the years! 

Respected Contributor

I have one of those sharpeners and my knives have never been sharper or better.

Esteemed Contributor

My Cutco Double D cost way more than that.  I gave it to my Mom, and I'm now using my colorful cheap ones.  I'm getting another Cutco soon.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I have several knives I've had since the 1960's when I first set up my own kntchen.  We paid big money for them at the time. I think even then the big chef's knife was over the $100. mark.

Ironically, when I'm done using them, the youngsters in the family want them.  Wish that were true for my jewelry and some of the decorative items I've also paid good money for over the years. Who knew!

@millieshops ~ Are they by any chance Cutco knives?

Respected Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

My Cutco Double D cost way more than that.  I gave it to my Mom, and I'm now using my colorful cheap ones.  I'm getting another Cutco soon.

Back in 1972 my mom bought me a set of Cutco knives as one of my wedding shower gifts...best knives ever!  I still use them daily and love them.  I do own the butcher block set of Henckle knives too, and love them as well.

Respected Contributor

We have a set of LamsonSharp knives.  Made in the US and simply wonderful.  Yes, they were expensive.  They were well worth the price.

Honored Contributor

Cutco? Yes! Rachael Ray? Absolutely not!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I have five Groovetech knives (the set of three small utility/paring knives and the set of two -- the chef's and the santoku) and I love them to death. I just wish they'd bring out a set of serrated knives -- say, one for bread and another smaller one for cutting tomatoes.