Respected Contributor

Ready-made cook-in-bag dinners now in supermarkets

[ Edited ]

Those who think QVC's ready-made meals cost too much..........

Here's one advertised in today's Publix grocery store ad in the Atlanta newspaper.....

Dijon Salmon Cook-in-Bag Dinner with Quinoa, "fresh, ready-to-cook"

Save $1.00 and buy it today for $10.99.

Photo shows one serving of salmon on top of a spread of something that looks like rice or another grain with some color specks mixed in.

Ad says "just choose your seafood, choose your flavor, and pop it in the oven".

Flavor choices are Dijon Cream Sauce, Caribbean Mango Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, Scampi Sauce.

I read somewhere that the grocers are packaging these ready-made dinners to compete against Blue Apron and similiar home-delivery vendors.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ready-made cook-in-bag dinners now in supermarkets

In many of my online orders I receive coupons for the "Blue Apron" type of companies.  This really seems to be a trend now.  I think cooking is becoming a lost art.  I live alone now and enjoy planning my meals and cooking.  Guess that is just me.  I know a lot of people that live alone prefer to go and get take-out and bring it home.  I'm sure this new type of food delivery/ingredient delivery is helpful when both husband and wife work long hours.   

Contributor

I subscribe to a couple of the food box services.  They are good quality and portion control for the two of us. It’s really fun to get my food box for the week.  Our local grocery also has the food boxes. I have tried those too. Those often come with the veg already chopped up so knife skills aren’t needed. 

When I don’t have a delivery scheduled, I often cook from the recipe cards from the boxes with items I have purchased from the grocery. I’m an experienced cook but I find the quality and convenience very appealing.

Honored Contributor

Publix has offered their dinners for a while.  Has anyone tried them?  I've "threatened" to but just can't decide which.

Honored Contributor

I think there will come a time when there will only be a fridge and a warming oven in a small space in homes.  There will be no need for a kitchen.  It will make the Jetsons look like they lived in the dark ages. Smiley LOL

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Fry's supermarkets(owned by Kroger) has dinner in a box, it's around the same price you mentioned & it is in a brown cardboard box. Don't know what the portion size is because it is sealed. They have a refrigerates section very close to the front door of the store.Guess for convience that you & grab & go. It's very close to the fruit/vegtable section so grap a bag salad & the dinner box and you are done. I never tried it but my brother did try Blue Apron, he lives alone now and he said he got 2 dinners out of 1 meal. 

Contributor

I also noticed the dinners in a box at the edge of the produce section at Kroger yesterday.  I would love to make dinner with someone, but when it is just me, it is Lean Cuisine, Stouffer, Marie Callendar, etc all the way.

Contributor

And of course, my potstickers and Mancini meatballs and my chicken breasts.  My freezer is so tiny that I always have to park half of my order in my sister's freezer.  Especially if Jimmy the Baker is in my freezer!! LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the dinners I have to prepare.  I'd buy dinners  you just warm up in a heartbeat but I've never seen them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't care for the dinners I have to prepare.  I'd buy dinners  you just warm up in a heartbeat but I've never seen them.

@Kachina624  Looks like you won the battle with your "monster plant" !!!!!   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥