Honored Contributor

Re: Rastelli Wagyu Burger Controversy

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

WHY would anyone GRIND good Wagyu beef?   SInce you have premium quality burger The least you can do is eat it freah when it is grilled.

@candys mine- Those Rastelli burgers aren't made from real Wagyu beef.  They were marketed as Waygu-style burgers.

When steaks and other cuts are trimmed, there is always good pieces of meat cut away. Those small pieces are used for ground beef and cold cuts.  Not much goes to waste.

Honored Contributor

If I recall, Wagyu meat has more fat. So what exactly is Wagyu-style?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

WHY would anyone GRIND good Wagyu beef?   SInce you have premium quality burger The least you can do is eat it freah when it is grilled.

@candys mine- Those Rastelli burgers aren't made from real Wagyu beef.  They were marketed as Waygu-style burgers.

They were/are marketed as Waygu beef in the Kobe-style (I think they can only call them Kobe if raised in Kobe, Japan, hence Kobe-style).

Valued Contributor

Whenever I reheat a burger or steak, I wrap it in a few iceberg lettuce leaves. The meat gets hot, stays juicy and tastes just like it did when I grilled it.

cookin 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

They were/are marketed as Waygu beef in the Kobe-style (I think they can only call them Kobe if raised in Kobe, Japan, hence Kobe-style).

Wagyu beef has a fine network, almost spiderweb-like fat structure through it. It's impressive in a steak or roast, but not so much in a burger. You could simply grind up some beef suet with the ground beef to get the same effect. Some people hate the texture of Wagyu beef. They say it's too soft and too buttery. They prefer a steak you can chew rather than have it just melt in your mouth. Kobe meat comes from the Tajima strain of Japanese black cattle. It's also Wagyu (literally Japanese beef as Wa means Japanese and Gyu means beef) but it's only from that one particular strain of cow raised in special conditions. 

Epicurious has an online series on YouTube where a pro chef with a ridiculous budget goes head to head with a home chef with a more normal budget and they swap ingredients. Gabrielle Chappel (my personal favorite of the home chefs) was given some $130 a pound wagyu beef to use in a recipe. She was more than shocked to see the price. (In another episode she was given some $200 a pound dried ham that she was munching on throughout the show and each time she ate a piece they flashed the $200 price tag on the screen. I'm pretty sure she didn't know how expensive the ham was as she was munching on it.)

With stuff like Wagyu and Kobe beef, you have to understand you're just buying fat at a ridiculous price. If you want a steak that literally melts in your mouth as it's 50% (or so) fat, then it's for you. If you don't mind doing a bit of chewing or prefer chewing your food, then just buy a normal steak and save the money. If you want a very high-fat hamburger, just buy the cheapest you can find at your supermarket and grind in some beef suet to bring the fat level up to that of the wagyu beef.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Yes, @gardenman, on the rare occasions that we eat steak, we both prefer the non-buttery kind, such as New York or sirloin. No mush and must better flavor than filet mignon (although we use it sometimes). We've never been interested in this fatty steak craze.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@toria   The solution in my house would be, let him take out one extra to reheat in the microwave later when he wants it, I would not take out extra for myself. If you want to grill yours fresh, do that. Everyone wins.

The first mistake you made was buying a frozen hamburger patty. At any price frozen meat is automatically a lesser quality than fresh
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the comments.  We grilled three of the burgers and saved the rest, we also grilled some sausages too.  Everyone was happy.  As far as the burgers were concerned, they were good but I don't think anything really special.  I think if you live near a good meat market you can buy a good premade burger or make them yourself.  We aren't always able to run out and buy fresh burger meat and make them so we look to having some frozen in our freezer.  We probably won't buy these again. 

Valued Contributor

And yes they are real wagyu beef, but kobe style.  Only beef in Japan can be labeled as Kobe.  American beef that is similar to Kobe beef is known as wagyu.