Regular Contributor

RICE COOKER SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN RICE

Just bought a Rice Cooker and not sure if I want to keep it or not. Bought a cook book as well but none of the recipes are what we like. Heard so many like these so bought one  need your ideas....

Honored Contributor

Re: RICE COOKER SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN RICE

Instant Pot....great and cooks more than rice instantly!  Easily a staple.

Occasional Contributor

Been using mine for years.  You can make mac and cheese, fettucini, bbq ribs, chicken, pasta, amazing machine.  Didn't cook rice for a yearSmiley Happy Best cookbook to get is at the H channelSmiley Happy by Marriana with Wolfgang Puck and of course, Debra Murray's Ricecooker Recipe Book, my holy grail for rice cooking.  Not sure exactly where you can pick hers up maybe on Amazon, not sure, but it is the best.  Oh, almost forgot, go to yahoo groups and join the rice cooker one, I think all the recipes are listed on there.  You can even make a cake in it but you have to keep pushing button down.  For a simple recipe, put some cut up chicken in it, brown a bit in it, you push button down and then add like a cup of broth (i use water and buillion), bbq sauce like a cup or more, and either cup of apple juice or a bottle of beer.  Close, press button down and put timer on for an hour.  In an hour, you;ll have chicken falling off the bone with a sauce that cooks down and thickens.  Enjoy your new rice cooker.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pattiewaddle

Here are a few recipes from Marian Getz "Simply the Best: Rice Cooker Recipes" Cookbook # 396-914 on HSN

Note: Most of these will feed 1-2 people because the thread these were on was about the small rice cooker, but you can double the recipe if you have a larger one. The cookbook provides measurements for both size rice cookers. This cookbook contains many "comfort foods", ordinary ingredients and most recipes seemed to be 8 or less ingredients (which is a plus in my book). Some examples: Mac and cheese, pot roast for one (or more, with adjustments for larger cookers), beef stroganoff, boneless buffalo chicken, beef & barley stew, smothered pork chops, chicken and dumplings, cheesy chicken and noodles, jambalaya, sweet & sour pork, shrimp paella and quite a few desserts (flan, banana bread, cherry and apple crumbles, bananas foster, brownie pudding cake and more). It is enough to get you going so you can feel creative on your own. It is not a thick cookbook, but an excellent starter book.

BOURBON CHICKEN TENDERS (this is my favorite!)

3 Raw Chicken Tenders (or I just sliced up a boneless chicken thigh)

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1 TBSP. Bourbon (or substitute 1 tsp. McCormick Brown Sugar Bourbon marinade)

1/3 cup Chicken Stock

2 tsp. Oyster Sauce, bottled

1 TBSP. Soy Sauce

2 ea. Garlic cloves, chopped

2 ea. Fresh Ginger coins, chopped

1 TBSP. Cornstarch

PERFECT WHITE RICE (See pg. 11)

1 Green Onion, julienned.

Combine all ingredients, except rice and green onions in rice cooker and stir. Close lid and press COOK. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is bubbly. When cooking is complete garnish as desired and serve with rice and green onions.

TIP: This recipe is similar to bourbon chicken available at most mall food courts across the country.

BBQ Babay Back Ribs (page 15) (these are delicious)

4 Baby back ribs

Salt & pepper to taste

½ c. chicken stock

½ c. of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce

Combine all ingredients in rice cooker Close lid and press COOK Cook for 45 minutes or until ribs are tender and sauce is bubbly & thick

Banana Bread (page 37)

1 Banana, mashed (good way to use over-ripe bananas) 2 T. unsalted butter, melted

1 Large egg, beaten

¼ c. sugar

¼ tsp. Baking soda

½ c all-purpose flour

1 pinch Kosher salt

Add nuts if you like them

Spray nonstick cooking spray to pan In a bowl, whisk all ingredients and pour into pan Close lid & press COOK When cooker switches to WARM (about 6-7 minutes, wit 5 minutes then press COOK again; repeat if necessary. Cooking is complete after about 20-25 minutes of cooking, when the top of the bread is pale and a toothpick comes out clean or with only a few crumbs. Invert onto a plate – garnish as desired – serve warm or cold.

Easy Meatloaf Recipe

8 oz lean ground beef, raw

2 T yellow onions chopped

1 large egg

1 T yellow mustard

1 slice sliced bread, torn into small pieces

1 T whole milk

Salt & Pepper to Taste

1 t Worcestershire sauce

1/4 t ground sage

1/4 c ketchup

1/2 c French fried onions, store bought

In mixing bowl, blend together all ingredients, except French fried onions. Spoon mixture into the rice cooker then smooth the top. Close lid & press Cook. Cook for 40-45 mins or until the meatloaf is cooked through (165° on meat thermometer). When cooking is complete, top with French fried onions, garnish as desired & serve.

Mac & Cheese Recipe

3/4 c Elbow Macaroni, Uncooked

1 t chicken flavored base

3/4 c water

1/2 c heavy cream

1/4 c Cheddar cheese, shredded

1/4 c Mozzarella cheese

1 T Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, except all cheeses, in the rice cooker & stir. Close lid & press Cook. When rice cooker switches to Warm (about 20-25 mins), stir in the cheeses thoroughly. Close lid & press Cook again (this is where the brown crust forms on the bottom). When rice cooker switches to Warm again, remove, garnish as desired & serve.

RICE PUDDING (pg. 82 of the Simply The Best Rice Cooker Recipes book) Use standard measuring cups for this recipe,

1 Cup Whole or Almond Milk

2 TBLS. + 1 tsp. Short grain white rice, uncooked

1 TBLS. + 1 tsp. granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract

1 Pinch Kosher Salt

Combine all ingredients in rice cooker and stir well.  Close lid and press COOK.  Cook for approximately 25 minutes. (Rice cooker will go to WARM) Rice will be tender, thick, and bubbly. When cooking is complete garnish and serve as desired. Note: Optional - 2 TBLS. raisins before cooking.

The Omelet

2 Lg. eggs

2 TBLS. milk (any kind)

1/3 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar or swiss)

1/3 cup vegetable of choice (or mix)

salt and pepper to taste

Whisk eggs and milk together. Add the cheese, vegetables, salt, and pepper. Mix together. Set the RC to COOK. It will run approx. 7 mins. Let sit for 5 mins. on WARM. Then press the COOK a second time. Another 2-3 mins. and it will revert to WARM and you have a fluffy, delicious omelets!

Here are a couple not in the book, but shared by others:

Chicken Teriyaki:

3 Chicken Tenderloin strips thawed and cut up into chunks

Bottled Teriyaki sauce (just dumped enough in to cover the chicken)

1 green onion cut up

1/4 c Water Chestnuts Canned - cut-up

1/4 cup Snow Peas - a handful broken up by hand into pieces, added after the 'Cook' setting switched off for the last few minutes (really I just grabbed what veggies I had on hand that seemed good for asian food, any will work)

Topped with those crunchy Chow Mein Noodles

Shrimp Scampi 

¾ pound uncooked shrimp - peeled and deveined

½ stick of melted butter

one glove of fresh garlic (more or less depending on your preference)

1 lemon - sliced

parsley

Old Bay seasoning

Parmesan cheese

Slice lemon and place in rice cooker pan. Place shrimp on top of lemon slices. In a bowl mix melted butter, fresh garlic and a sprinkle of parsley. Pour over top of shrimp and coat well. Sprinkle old bay and Parmesan cheese over top of the shrimp. Turn on cooker and wait for it to turn off. Serve this over rice or thin pasta (like angle hair or vermicelli).

Tip: You can pick up Campbell’s sauces in packets at the store and use those with your favorite ingredients to create a variety of dishes.

I think you will LOVE all you can do with your rice cooker

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I have a small non stick rice cooker (WP 3 cup).  I cook breakfast in mine every morning.   I put scrambled eggs (or egg beaters) in mine along with veggies, ham or bacon.  I cook mine til it switches to warm.  I turn the eggs over and cook for another minute or two.  You can add cheese on top after flipping over if desired.

Delicious!

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

I have a small non stick rice cooker (WP 3 cup).  I cook breakfast in mine every morning.   I put scrambled eggs (or egg beaters) in mine along with veggies, ham or bacon.  I cook mine til it switches to warm.  I turn the eggs over and cook for another minute or two.  You can add cheese on top after flipping over if desired.

Delicious!

I assume 2 eggs?  Do you cook the bacon first?  I'd think you wouldn't have to turn it on again after you filp the eggs, and the unit might still be hot enough to set the other side.  Is that right?

Sounds good! I could go for one right now!  I'd like to put mushrooms with it!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I cooked an omelet in mine.   It took 50 minutes as opposed to 5 on the stove and would have been much easier done in the skillet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@mima wrote:

Delicious!

I assume 2 eggs?  Do you cook the bacon first?  I'd think you wouldn't have to turn it on again after you filp the eggs, and the unit might still be hot enough to set the other side.  Is that right?

Sounds good! I could go for one right now!  I'd like to put mushrooms with it!  LOL!!!

@Sooner I use 2 eggs or 1/2 cup eggbeaters (for one person).  I do use a bit of butter nonstick spray for flavor but it isn't needed for the nonstick properties.  I cheat and use Hormel Real Bacon Bits (Applewood smoked).  Mushrooms is really good.  I usually use leftover broccolli.  Delish!!! If you use regular bacon, I would cook it first.  No need to precook ham though.  I put the meat in first before the eggs.  Not sure that makes a difference.

My rice cooker is small.  I can do a double batch so DH can eat too, but it really works better for one serving.  I usually make his then mine.

After you flip the eggs, just seal it back and leave it on warm for another minute or two.  You really don't have to push the button down to cook again.  It finishes cooking just on warm.

The rice paddles are my favorite utensil for these cookers.  They work great for turning eggs over!  When I first got the paddles with the cooker, I thought I'd never use them.

You can't go wrong!!!!

Honored Contributor

@mima

You are brilliant!    If you had "real" bacon, you could just microwave a strip in paper towels in the microwave--takes less than a minute in ours.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this with us!  I can't wait to try that!  

Honored Contributor

My question is--are all rice cookers alike? I have a Zojirushi. So would the times be the same? Would love to use this thing more often.