Trusted Contributor

Re: RICE COOKER SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN RICE

[ Edited ]

@wagirl

I would think it would depend more on the size of your cooker rather than the brand.  The bigger the cooker the more space on the bottom touches the heat, plus you can have more food making it denser to cook.  Most of the recipes quoted here (at least in my post) are for a small 1 ½ cup (3 cups cooked) rice cooker, so it makes a meal for 1 or 2.  You can increase the amounts for ingredients depending upon the size of your cooker – and the more ingredients the longer it will likely take to cook.  Just as for some of the smaller ones, you set it and go – then check to see if it needs more cooking time.  You can always cook it longer, but if you burn it….well, that is hard to undo.  As with learning anything new, you have to experiment with it and then you get the hang of it.  Then you expand your cooking adventure.  Any rice cooker can cook all these things beautifully.  Some, even thought it can cook it, you may decide the old way is better or quicker.  And for other things, this will make delicious food in a new quick & easy way.  Hope that helps. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

A pancake!

@momtochloe, in the "Recipe" forum, posted a fun link to "26 Of The Worst Cooking Fails In 2016".

Each "failure" was posted with a picture of how it should have looked. They were very funny and reminded me of some of my own kitchen creations. I felt right at home. 

However, one of the mistakes caught my eye, and I thought... this is a really cool idea! A gigantic pancake!  One pancake for the whole family. 

These were made in a rice cooker. I've included the picture of the perfect pancake.   Check out mtc's post if you'd like to see the other one.IMG_1120.JPG

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell wrote:

A pancake!

@momtochloe, in the "Recipe" forum, posted a fun link to "26 Of The Worst Cooking Fails In 2016".

Each "failure" was posted with a picture of how it should have looked. They were very funny and reminded me of some of my own kitchen creations. I felt right at home. 

However, one of the mistakes caught my eye, and I thought... this is a really cool idea! A gigantic pancake!  One pancake for the whole family. 

These were made in a rice cooker. I've included the picture of the perfect pancake.   Check out mtc's post if you'd like to see the other one.IMG_1120.JPG

@rrpell TEE HEE thank you for reminding me as I wanted to try and scout this out as it looks more than interesting . . . I did find this link which sounds like you just dump the entire batch of pancake batter into the rice cooker for 45 minutes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/foodbeast/how-to-make-ginormous-flu_b_5501547.html

Hey, I'm in . . . Happy New Year everybody and best wishes and good fortune for 2017! . . . Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Happy New Year to you as well @momtochloe.  Wishing you all good things to come your way!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@rrpell wrote:

A pancake!

@rrpell TEE HEE thank you for reminding me as I wanted to try and scout this out as it looks more than interesting . . . I did find this link which sounds like you just dump the entire batch of pancake batter into the rice cooker for 45 minutes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/foodbeast/how-to-make-ginormous-flu_b_5501547.html

Hey, I'm in . . . Happy New Year everybody and best wishes and good fortune for 2017! . . . Smiley Happy

You'd have to figure out some way to turn it to brown on both sides.   I see a big mess. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment