Honored Contributor

I copied the below from Yahoo Food this morning.

Has anyone tried this method of reviving stale bread?

DH and I are now alone (my kids desserted me...AKA empty nest syndome {#emotions_dlg.sad})

We just can't finish any good loaves of crusty breads! We eat a lot of soups and I always buy a crusty skinny loaf of bread from Wegman's...and proceed to throw half away! I am going to try this!

REVIVING STALE BREAD

Stick the Bread Under Water

This step might seem terrifying at first, but stay with us. Turn on a faucet of running water—either hot or cold will do—and stick that loaf of bread right under it. Try to position it so the exposed or cut-side is facing away from the faucet, but if the loaf’s interior gets wet, fear not. Food director Carla Music has performed this trick with a totally saturated loaf to great success. Don’t be timid; get the crust good and wet before proceeding.

Put the Bread In the Oven

If your oven has a “warm” setting and you’ve been waiting to use it, this is your moment. If not, just set it to 300-325 degrees and pop the bread in the oven, directly on the rack. Set a timer for 6-7 minutes, depending on the size of the loaf—or 10-12 for a super wet loaf (like one whose interior has gotten drenched). What emerges will be a good-as-new loaf: Moist on the inside, crackly-crust on the outside.

Be Happy! You Now Have a Fresh Loaf of Bread

What is this trickery? How does this all work? The water turns to steam, which rehydrates the bread’s crumb, or interior, while the heat of the oven firms up the crust. As a bonus, your kitchen smells great. Now grab that jam—we’ve got a loaf of bread to eat.

Respected Contributor

Uh no! LOL, stale means it's time to throw away for me. I've been known to freeze a half of loaf for later tho. We also don't go through a whole loaf before it's stale.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Of course, you can always use stale (not moldy) bread to make bread crumbs, croutons, bread pudding, or French toast. If I want to "revive" it to a soft, fresh state, I usually put the stale rolls or bread slices in a perforated steaming basket lined with a little tin foil in a large pot with a vented lid and steam them over a little water on the stovetop for a few minutes. Freshens them right up!

Honored Contributor

Freezer for me for years on my bread consumption. I still have yeast rolls from Christmas in there now which I pull out one from time to time if I think I deserve the carbs.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Oh yes...the article did mention...moldy is a goner and that you can make croutons/breadcrumbs...sorry, I didn't bother to print that part.

I was just intrigued by the method of bringing it back to 'original' eating condition!

Thank you Goodstuff...that is a great suggestion and I do have a steamer basket.

debc, I have also frozen half of the loaf. To be honest, once defrosted, it still tastes a bit 'old' to me. The only bread I use out of the freezer is for Bread Puddings.

I used to give the balance of stale loaves to my MIL to feed the ducks/geese but her complex yelled at her to stop it due to complaints about goose poop! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor
We make bread pudding from stale bread. Also, my aunts in Italy used to take slices of stale bread and fry them in butter and red wine until the edges got caramelized and crispy, then sprinkle with sugar. Sounds gross but actually was pretty good! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor
On 3/11/2015 debc said:

Uh no! LOL, stale means it's time to throw away for me. I've been known to freeze a half of loaf for later tho. We also don't go through a whole loaf before it's stale.

Of course, no one wants to use bread if it is moldy or spoiled.......but it would be wonderful if more Americans would learn to make good use of things like stale bread that can still be good and nutritious! Some classic recipes were created specifically to make use of stale bread, which is excellent when spun in a food processor to make bread crumbs for fillers or toppings, toasted in the oven with oil and seasonings to make croutons for soup or salad, dipped in egg and milk and fried for French toast, mixed up in bread pudding, etc. It is a shame to waste food when so much of the world doesn't have enough.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, GoodStuff, you are right. Stale bread makes great French toast. I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it! Smile

I have also used it for bread pudding, too. I knew about reviving it with water, too.

One of my Grammas taught me to do that. She wouldn't put the bread under running water, but rather she would just sprinkle some water on whatever amount she was using, and then would reheat it. It would turn out nice and warm and slightly crispy on the crust. Really good that way.

Honored Contributor
On 3/12/2015 northernlights said:

Yes, GoodStuff, you are right. Stale bread makes great French toast. I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it! Smile

I have also used it for bread pudding, too. I knew about reviving it with water, too.

One of my Grammas taught me to do that. She wouldn't put the bread under running water, but rather she would just sprinkle some water on whatever amount she was using, and then would reheat it. It would turn out nice and warm and slightly crispy on the crust. Really good that way.

That's good to know, northernlights, that this method worked for your Gramma. Thanks for the input on how she did it.

I do know there are lots of good things to do with stale bread, would never go to waste. We just love bread pudding!

I would just really like to EAT some of these 1/2 crusty loaves a second or third time. Esp. with a leftover helping of a good soup or stew. I love a piece of crusty bread with soup!

I'm going to try this water method of revival next time!

Respected Contributor

I've used this trick for years. I buy a French baguette every week. At home, I cut it into thirds and freeze it. When I am ready to warm a section, I thaw it and dip it into hot water. I then set it aside for enough time to allow the bread to absorb the moisture before warming it in a 375º oven for about 5 minutes. It works every time.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.